cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi booster issues

CalumG02
Joining in

Hey, I keep having an issue with my wifi booster where it randomly cuts out for no reason. I’ll be using it with my PlayStation and it’ll be connected via Ethernet. But the booster will randomly cut out, the arrows on the front turn red and a message pops up on my PlayStation saying the Ethernet cable has been disconnected. Which is really irritating because it always kicks me out of my games. Any ideas? 

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What "booster" is it?

Is it yours or one from VM?

If from VM is it really a "booster" or a newer Pod?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey, so it’s a vm booster. And as far as I’m aware it’s a booster not a pod

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Boosters are poor way of extending wifi signals. Are you connecting the PS to the booster via an ethernet cable ?

TBH - I would ditch the VM boosters and sort it for yourself.

My lad is a serious internet gamer who thinks wifi is the work of Satan and should never be used for gaming. Ethernet cabling your devices is always the best way to go. If you can run an ethernet cable from the Hub directly to the PS. But running cable to his room was problematic. So he uses a pair of (good quality) Solwise AC1200 powerline adapters. His PC/Xbox/PS3 can now all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables – back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-70Mbps on our V200 package - he hasn't complained once in years!

Worth considering whether that will work for your house on your mains circuits, the two circuits must go through the same consumer unit/fuse box (most do) and be free of any "noise". You can also add a wifi access point alongside to boost that up there as well.

Or some PA’s have built in wifi too - look at the TP-Link offerings.

Or look at getting a Mesh unit

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi CalumG02,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

Sorry to see you're facing issues with your booster.

From checking our service I can see that all spec seem to be fine with your router which could indicate an issue with your booster.

We do now have our Wi-Fi Pods instead of our older boosters where you can have up to 3 on your account, however depending on your package they may incur a £5 monthly charge for them.

Let us know whether you would like to process an order and we'll get that sorted for you.

Thanks,

Kain