Menu
KentGirl1
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wifi blocking foscam website

Hi,

Just got a new Virgin Hub 3.0 and tried to connect my Foscam cameras to it. Managed to do it, but cannot log on to them (settings) on wifi. No problem logging on on 4G, so I'm assuming the new hub is stopping me from doing so. Any suggestions how I can solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi blocking foscam website

When you say you can't log on with WiFi, do you mean directly on your local WiFi network using the cameras' local IP addresses, or over the internet using your VM WAN address?

If the former you should see the cameras directly without any problem. You can ping their addresses to see they are connected.

If the latter, you will need to set up port forwarding.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
KentGirl1
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi jpeg1,

Thank you for replying so quickly. The cameras are connected to the router and I have set up port forwarding. I can't log on to them over the internet, not on the local IP network. I have set up port forwarding to ports 88 and 89, so the address is my router public ip address followed by the port number. It works if I go to 4G, but not when I try from my home wifi. I just changed my home IP address on my laptop using VPN and I can log on. I'm puzzled.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If what you mean is that you can't go to {WANIP}:88 from within your home network and see the cameras then that's likely working as designed, you tend to find with a lot of routers the port forwarding only takes effect if being visited from the WAN, if visited from LAN it'll just go to the router itself.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes I think you may have something there. Not a problem I have with my Hikvision cameras, but I use a separate router. Perhaps Foscam support can assist.   

@DreamOfCheese wrote:
If what you mean is that you can't go to {WANIP}:88 from within your home network and see the cameras then that's likely working as designed, you tend to find with a lot of routers the port forwarding only takes effect if being visited from the WAN, if visited from LAN it'll just go to the router itself.

0 Kudos
KentGirl1
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi DreamofCheese,

Thank you for the reply. So it is the new Virgin hub then? I did not have that problem on the old hub. There is another option to log on to the cameras using  the foscam website which is someting like: http://******.myfoscam.org:88/. I used to be able to log onto that from my home wifi, but it's not working either (only on 4G).

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What happens if you ping the camera's local IP address over the WiFi?

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@KentGirl1 wrote:

Hi DreamofCheese,

Thank you for the reply. So it is the new Virgin hub then? I did not have that problem on the old hub. There is another option to log on to the cameras using  the foscam website which is someting like: http://******.myfoscam.org:88/. I used to be able to log onto that from my home wifi, but it's not working either (only on 4G).

You should be able to connect via LAN by using the LAN IP of the device instead of your WAN IP.

0 Kudos
KentGirl1
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I can connect to the camera local IP address over wifi, yes.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Won't that do the job for you?

0 Kudos