cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi bad after upgrade

Thatblackguy121
Tuning in

I was on 50mb download this was upgraded to 100mb with my new contract buy ever since I got a new router because the old one was faulty my internet as a whole has been consistently.

I went from consistently getting around the 30-50mb are to just about getting 20mb

I tried to call support but the phone line also just cuts out every time I'm calling bit disappointed to be paying for an upgrade yet everything is worse.

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is that speeds over wifi or ethernet cable connections? If wifi - is it on the 2.4 GHz band or the 5GHz one? 2.4 will always be much slower than 5.

Then test it on a computer/laptop connected on an ethernet cable

Always worth a reset when you change package.

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the response and I wish I could give more information  and give more accurate data but after trying the pin reset and rebooting it through the ip it seems to be worse as now the wifi is constantly dropping.

I tried rebooting it through the ip adress and the pin reset but it seems to have actually gotten worse as it will just disconnect then reconnect for about 3-5 minutes then disconnect again

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK can you do this
______________________-

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. On the first page up dont login (unless you have the Hub4/5 - when you do login) just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4) or top/right (SH’s) of the Login page and then Navigate to these “pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi there @Thatblackguy121

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums.

I'm so sorry to hear you are experiencing these drops in connection and issues with your WiFi! 

Are you able to follow the steps as outlined by @jbrennand at all so we can take a look into the Hub stats? 

Thank you.

Sorry I forgot to reply here I figured out the problem was actually just a loose coaxel everything is working fine now thank you