Menu
Dereklad
Superfast
Message 11 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Security camera won't connect

Update to who is looking to connect a security camera to the hub 3..

what i did as this is a 2.4 hz camera is go into the router settings by typing 192.168.0.1 into my iphone safari browser..then i switched off 5hz wifi just leaving the 2.4 hz..the camera connected to the network and set up fine..

after connecting and setting up i went into the router settings and re checked to 5 hz band..

this worked all is good with the apeman wifi security camera i got off amazon for 30 quid..

Cable customer from its inception in 80's in Birmingham .have never missed a bill payment.my package is big kahuna xl tv..200mb internet..and free sky movies for 6 months..+tivo box.
Ps4 & Amazon firestick.
+size 9 feet..iphone 7 plus..
ArtcyTracy
Joining in
Message 12 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Dereklad wrote:

..then i switched off 5hz wifi just leaving the 2.4 hz..

Temporarily disconnecting the 5 ghz frequency worked for me as well. But I had to use the ethernet cable to connect. It would not connect over wifi and I think this is because my device claims to not be compatible with WPA/WPA2 security. I temporarily disabled this security to no avail. If someone knows a workaround for this particular issue please let me know. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hello ArtcyTracy

Thanks for your post 

I just need to ask a few questions first 

What the model of the security camera is 

Does the Camera connect at all

Are there any error messages 

Regards 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Dereklad wrote:

..then i switched off 5hz wifi just leaving the 2.4 hz..

It would not connect over wifi and I think this is because my device claims to not be compatible with WPA/WPA2 security. I temporarily disabled this security to no avail. If someone knows a workaround for this particular issue please let me know. 

If it doesn't conform to WPA2 security it will be a security risk as liable to hacking.  Also these cheap cameras are known to 'phone home' to China with lots of private data.   

0 Kudos
ArtcyTracy
Joining in
Message 15 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@jpeg1 wrote:If it doesn't conform to WPA2 security it will be a security risk as liable to hacking.  Also these cheap cameras are known to 'phone home' to China with lots of private data.   

I reconnected my device using the ethernet cable, maintaining my enabled security settings. Then I was able to remove the cable and maintain a wireless connection. So I've got everything setup and running the way I like.

I've heard many rumors of these cameras and interactive devices like Alexa being hacked. I am using my camera only to watch my dog while I am at work. In the evenings I unplug it. I do however have a similar security question now. When I look at my list of available networks on my laptop I see my camera on the list as an open network. I am confused as to why it shows itself as a network and would like to either make it secure, not visible, or both. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 16 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Tricky question that. There are two possibilities here. When you are watching remotely, are you logging on directly to your Virgin WAN, or via some sort of cloud or redirection using the camera manufacturer's cloud? The requirements and consequences are different.

I have tested a couple of cheap cameras on my network and monitored where they connected to with Wireshark. The amount of remote connections they were making was quite frankly horrifying and I would never leave them connected. I now only use Hikvision cameras. They do phone home, but very much less and with certain precautions I'm prepared to take the risk. 

0 Kudos
ArtcyTracy
Joining in
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Gareth_L wrote:

What the model of the security camera is 

Does the Camera connect at all

Are there any error messages 

Interestingly it appears to be a non branded camera, only marketed as an IP pet cam. I purchased it on Amazon and the ASIN (Amazon Standard Identification Number) is B0756TC3BM. 

As I mentioned earlier, it does connect, although I did run into errors like "network busy, try again later" or simply, "network error." I had to disable my 5g to connect to my 2.4g and also connect via ethernet cable. Then I was able to re-enable my 5g and remove the ethernet cable to go wireless. Everything is working for me now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ArtcyTracy
Joining in
Message 18 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@jpeg1 wrote:

Tricky question that. There are two possibilities here. When you are watching remotely, are you logging on directly to your Virgin WAN, or via some sort of cloud or redirection using the camera manufacturer's cloud? The requirements and consequences are different.

I have tested a couple of cheap cameras on my network and monitored where they connected to with Wireshark. The amount of remote connections they were making was quite frankly horrifying and I would never leave them connected. I now only use Hikvision cameras. They do phone home, but very much less and with certain precautions I'm prepared to take the risk. 

I am watching remotely from an app, YouSee, on my android phone. There are also setup instructions for a method of viewing through a desktop browser but I have not attempted that yet.

This is my first camera purchase. I am quite an idiot when it comes to tech stuff. I'm constantly Googling things like "IP", "WPA" and "WAN."

Do infinite anonymous remote connections all stem from hacking? Are built-in laptop cameras safer?

What are the various methods I can use to remotely view my camera? I will research Wireshark and Hikvision.

0 Kudos
ArtcyTracy
Joining in
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Deleting this message as it was posted multiple times.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 20 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Any device that you connect to your home network is a potential security risk and has to be considered accordingly.

The most basic precaution is to change the default password to a complex one, to discourage hackers from getting in. But that won't help if the device itself wants to send data somewhere.  There are things you can do to reduce the risk but it's too big a subject to put here. There is lots of advice on the web if you look for it.  

0 Kudos