cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Problem

footstomper
Joining in

My landlady has moved 14  workers from Belize into the flats above me and they are all stealing my wifi and I am constantly losing my internet access.

When I check my laptop the wifi lists names I know live above and lots more from BTB and Talk Talk. I seem unable to disconnect them and they are showing the full power logo when I am showing the lowest power.

Any idea how I can disconnect the others please and stop this from happening night after night?

4 REPLIES 4

Aaron2
Well-informed

How did they steal your WiFi password?

but you can change the WiFi password via http://192.168.0.1 - the login is located at the bottom of your Hub

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey footstomper, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear people are your using your WIFI.

As Aaron2 has mentioned you can log into the settings and kick them off like that, or you can do a pin hole reset which would wipe everything off such as connected devices. 

They shouldn't be able to connect without knowing your password.

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

No, I’m afraid everyone here has misunderstood what is being said.

When you look at the WiFi on your laptop, you are not seeing people connected to your WiFi, but rather different WiFi broadcasts from other suppliers, if, as you say, a lot of extra people have moved in and have setup their own connections and WiFi, you are seeing these, some will be named with generic BT or TalkTalk names while others might have been more customised (Bill’s WiFi say) and if you know that there is a ‘Bill’ upstairs, it’s easy to jump to conclusions.

It’s mush more likely that all the extra WiFi usage is causing congestion and swamping the WiFi signal from your VM hub, which aren’t exactly known for having stellar WiFi performance. You may well need to experiment with changing WiFi channels on your hub to see if you can’t find a less congested one.

John

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for bringing clarity to this @jem101.

@footstomper, does the explanation make sense as to what is going on? Do you need any further help?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs