cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Pod

RossFarr
Tuning in

I have a Virgin hub 4 and I have connected to an apple airport extreme 6th gen via ethernet. 
Can I replace the Apple airport with the wifi pod and still keep the pod connected over ethernet? IE I would be extending my network the same as I have done with the apple AE but just using the wifi pod instead.

Also can I run separate SSID's for 2.4 & 5GHz via the wifi pod?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is your Hub in modem mode with the AE (my set up)? If so then - no - the Pods will not work for you.- only when the Hub is in router mode do they connect.

Or are you using the AE in bridge mode? Seems a waste if it is since the AE's routing and wireless performance are a quantum leap better than the "Poundstore" Hub's.

I solved my issues by connecting a couple of Airport Expresses to my AE - by wifi - and now get excellent "whole house" coverage for both 2.4/5 GHz SSID's

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is your Hub in modem mode with the AE (my set up)? If so then - no - the Pods will not work for you.- only when the Hub is in router mode do they connect.

Or are you using the AE in bridge mode? Seems a waste if it is since the AE's routing and wireless performance are a quantum leap better than the "Poundstore" Hub's.

I solved my issues by connecting a couple of Airport Expresses to my AE - by wifi - and now get excellent "whole house" coverage for both 2.4/5 GHz SSID's

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I currently have the hub in router mode downstairs, and a massive ethernet cable running outside the house to upstairs where it connects to the AE. I have them both with the same SSID and this seems to cover the house nicely, except on occasion when changing floors I just need to toggle the wifi on and off. I was hoping that replacing the AE with the wifi pods it would eradicate this issue.
But I think you have confirmed that I do have the better site up now.

cheers 🙂

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Mine is similar but I have the two networks on separate SSID's. And this is replicated by the AE's in the back room and the one upstairs. I did this because I am all Apple and all my Macbooks/iPhones are smart enough to seamlessly change networks between "AE-2" and "AE-5" - when the 5GHz network goes out of range. Fortunately the 5GHz network fully covers the whole of my 3-bed semi easily - so it only happens when I am at the bottom of the garden 😎

I picked up the AE2's on ebay for about £20 each and they have worked brilliantly.

--------------------
John
--------------------

kevin1988
Dialled in

I have the same setup at home using a hub 4 and Apple AirPort.  was sent a wifi pod so tried it out,  not as good as the AirPort ended up reverting back to the my previous setup and the pod was put back in the box.  As John says its 'Poundstore' in comparison to the Apple AirPort. I wish Apple will start making them again with Wifi 6 capability. 

I have done exactly the same thing. and I also wish apple would just update their AE's either with firmware or a new hardware version. I would re-buy them again from new from Apple. they are missing a trick.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
When Apple stopped producing networking gear a few years ago, a lot of that team moved to join "Ubiquiti" - you can see there influence when you look at thei kit - very "Applesque"

Ubiquiti kit is well regarded by users of it on here

--------------------
John
--------------------