cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi POD availability

countyexile
Up to speed

Are wifi pods still not available?

I have the ultimate oomph package and currently have a Hub 3 plus a wifi booster to extend signal to my study. I am unable to get wifi in the bedrooms at the other end of the bungalow however. Today I went through the room scan process and for the bedrooms it tried to update the chip to improve wifi signal but the end result was a message saying that failed and I need a pod for that room. However on trying to order it says they are not available and I have  to sign up for marketing to enable me to get an email when they become available. Whilst I have, reluctantly, done this I am not happy at the prospect of being bombarded with text and phone marketing calls just because I want to order something that should be freely available within my package.

[MOD EDIT: Post split to create own thread]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello countyexile

Tom advised we can order up to 3 pods for you 

Just only 1 at at time 

Are you still looking to go ahead with this 

If so, please let us know 

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes they are available despite what their website and CS agents say. You have to call in to order them or wait for a VM rep to get here to help.

But see this I have posted before

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for that and for the advice. I'll wait to see if they contact me after posting on here and signing up for email notice of availability.

They do seem to try to make contacting them for even simple matters far from straightforward!  These pods were announced in a blaze of publicity, they provided an app so room checks and signal levels can be tested, yet when you go through the process and they say you need a pod you can't get one unless you jump through a series of further hoops.

As mentioned in my original post I have the ultimate oomph package, I went through the full process of the room checks and attempts to upgrade the chip to improve wifi coverage which came to the conclusion a pod was needed, so don't understand why they can't simply send one after those tests have been properly carried out.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @countryexile,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for inconvenience caused with this.

Can you please tell me if you are able to see an order for this on your account?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley,

I have just logged into my account and under the "My Orders and appointments" section it says  "It looks like you don't have any open orders"

Regards

Rob Fudge

Hi @countyexile, thanks for your reply and apologies - if that's the case it doesn't seem like there'll be any wifi pod on its way to you.

If you do have the old wifi booster kit which it sounds like you do, please note that we cannot run these alongside our Intelligent Wifi Pods.

I'm more than happy to help place an order for you and if so, I'll pop you a PM but firstly please let me know if you're happy for me to do this bearing in mind that it will deactivate your current wifi booster kit (only from when you activate your pod though).

We can only order one wifi pod at a time unfortunately, but t's important to note that you can have up to 3 wifi pods so in the long run, the pods may be a better solution.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

If only one pod can be ordered and it would deactivate the  wifi booster there doesn't seem to be much point in ordering one at this stage as I would require 2 to provide the coverage needed.

Due to the layout of my bungalow, irrespective of where the hub is located, there are at least two wifi weak spots - one in my study, where the booster is currently located, and one in the area where the bedrooms are located. To replace the booster with a  single pod in the study would just leave the same situation as it is now and still no coverage in parts of the bungalow.

If additional pods can't be ordered within the Ultimate Oomph package I am signed up to would a 2nd one be available for a one off cost please?  When you say I can have up to 3 wifi pods are you saying this is something I can't order now but will become available in the future?

Thanks

Rob

Hello countyexile

Tom advised we can order up to 3 pods for you 

Just only 1 at at time 

Are you still looking to go ahead with this 

If so, please let us know 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

Yes please I would like to go ahead ordering the first one now if it means I can apply for a 2nd at a later date.

Rob

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @countyexile,

Thanks for coming back to us.

I will send you a private message now, please look out for a purple envelope.

Many thanks, 

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide