cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Drops Out

Peelde
Joining in

Hi, I have been having issues with my wifi dropping out for quite a while now. Most evenings after 8pm my tablet and my wifes ipad experience frequent dropping of the internet. Restarting the tablets or restarting the hub sorts it for a while but it still happens. Its not the tablets because these are new and it also happened on the previous ones. I have run the service status as suggested on the Virgin Media site and the issue is still there. I am not tech savvy and need help or suggestions. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

lotharmat
Community elder
Can you connect a laptop or something with an ethernet cable to see if it is just the wifi or the whole circuit that is dropping.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi, My PC is connected by cable and does not drop connection when the tablets do.

Have you tried splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks?

You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi, thanks. I have changed the SSID to your suggestion. Obviously I now have 2 wifi settings to choose from, just wondering how this will help and which one do I connect to? Sorry to sound confused.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Peelde, 

Thank you for getting in touch with our Community. 

When splitting the SSID's, you will have the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connections available. 

5Ghz is suitable for devices in close range of the Hub. 

2.4Ghz would be devices that are not in the same room/area as the Hub.

Both options will be available when searching WiFi connections so please select the option that best suits your device. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Thanks for that. So far splitting seems to be working, no had many disconnections since doing it. Will keep my eye on it though.