cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Channels keep disappearing

deancall88
Tuning in

Hi All, I have the hub 3 and in the last few days my wifi channels have been simply disappearing. I split my channels into 2 and 5 GHz. I've had very little issues but since Saturday in the morning and in the evening for 1 hour both channels disappear from all connected devices and I lose connection.

I have wifi boosters set-up and these also lose connection, all cables are secured, I've done multiple hard resets, flushed the DNS but nothing works, the channels just reappear as if nothing happened.

Anyone else experiencing this or have any further tips?

11 REPLIES 11

lotharmat
Community elder
Best bet to try and cure this is a pinhole reset!
Make sure you can read all the default passwords on the base of the Hub before you do this

Unplug all ethernet cables

With the power on and the co-ax connected; press and hold the reset switch with a paperclip or sim removal tool for at least 60 seconds.

Allow 10 minutes to reboot, reset and stabilise

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See how you go with a further reset but it sounds like you've already tried that.

You're likely best to put the hub in modem mode and use your own mesh system which should eliminate the need for those boosters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Sorry I should have mentioned I've done this also, the pin hole reset. As I mentioned it's as if nothing happened, both channels disappear from the network screen then reappear so I can't even try to connect to them.

Apologies I always think of a hard reset as a full power-off.

If you've tried all that - I'd call it in as a faulty hub - or..

As @g0akc suggests - get your own superior wifi kit - your sanity will thank you in the long run!

No worries, everyone uses different terminology, I get confused myself at times.

I was thinking that alright, I went for the powerline adaptors (not wifi booster, I did it again) but they only support 2GHz, the set-up does work in fairness but the intermittent drop outs don't help when I'm full time working from home at the moment.

Appreciate the responses.

I know the feeling! 🙂

Powerline adaptors are a 'useful' last-resort! They can be flakier than a dandruff convention!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @deancall88,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your WiFi Channels.

I was able to locate your account and look into this a little further for you. After looking at your Hub uptime, I can see that the Hub has not been rebooted or reset in 44 days.

As previously advised, please complete a Pin-Hole Reset on your Hub. After that, please split your channels as you normally would and let us know if this has helped with the issue. 

Keep us updated and let us know how you're getting on.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina,

I did a pin hole reset on Monday so I don't know how this is not showing on my account, I do not want to do this again and have to set up my channels, they should not be disconnecting and disappearing.

This morning since 10:00 AM every 20 - 30 mins this is happening again, I work from home and have had to switch to my mobile hotspot to continue working.

Yet again there are no issues reported in my area when I call the phone number and the Virgin Connect app states that signal is great in every room.

This is looking more like the hub itself is faulty, how can I go about getting a replacement?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @deancall88,

Thanks for coming back to me about this issue.

After taking another look at your account, I can still see that your Hub uptime is showing as the Hub has not been rebooted or reset in 45 days. It would be best to reboot or reset your Hub to clear any issues on the line.

I looked a little further into the issue, and as you stated, there is no area issue impacting your services, but our system was able to pick up on a short term Connectivity issue. I think rebooting will definitely help clear this out.

Have you set up a BQM chart? This will help us monitor any drop outs that you may be experiencing and help us keep track as to when this is happening.

Please set this up and let us know how you're getting on after 24 hours of monitoring your connection.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs