cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling

markhewitt1978
Joining in

Previously I was with TalkTalk where Wi-Fi Calling worked perfectly. For me on Vodafone and my wife on O2. 

However since we switched to Virgin with a Hub 5 it hasn't worked at all. I've seen a lot of confused things about if it should work or some options to enable it - which don't appear in the Hub 5 menus. Or that it just doesn't work and I would have to buy a separate router. 

I can't believe a basic feature like Wi-Fi Calling simply doesn't work with the Hub5?

(Wifi calling is switched on on both of our phones)

28 REPLIES 28

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Markhewitt1978,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you've been having with WiFi calling. 

Can you confirm the make and model of the handsets you have been trying WiFi calling on?

^Martin

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
It will work if you put hub in modem mode with your own router having 1Gb ports
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply. 

They are an iPhone 14 and iPhone 11 both running latest OS as of today. 

I can confirm Phone > Wifi Calling is set to 'On'. 

Alessandro,

Thanks. However I don't consider that a good solution. Having to pay quite a bit of money to get my own router and reconfigure everything. Because a *basic* feature that should be supported on Virgins router doesn't work for unknown reasons. It has worked with every other broadband provider I've used until now 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the posts and replies, markherwitt1978.

The handsets you've advised you're using are on our list of compatible devices for the WiFi calling feature.

May I ask if the handsets have been purchased from us?
Also, can you kindly advise if your issue is limited to these two devices and only when on Wi Fi calls or is your connection poor/unstable in certain parts of the house?

Please, share more and we'll be happy to assist where possible.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The handsets were purchased directly from Apple 

We don't have any other wifi call capable devices to test with. For my wife on O2 she is unable to make phone calls in her home office at the rear of the house since the mobile signal does not reach. When wifi calling worked (on TalkTalk) this was no issue. 

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for confirming this @markhewitt1978 

Was WiFi calling working fine before with our Hub 5 or have both the changes just happened? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

It has never worked with Hub5. 

It was working with TapaTalk. As soon as I got Virgin installed it no longer works. 

Hi Mark 👋 thank you for getting back to us and keeping this thread updated!

We need to isolate if the issue is with the Wi-Fi coverage in your home, with the devices being set up correctly with the Hub for Wi-Fi calling, or with the Hub itself. 

The most likely of these is the Wi-Fi set up or coverage within your home. On this basis, can we also check if you are experiencing any other Wi-Fi issues on these devices or is it exclusive to Wi-Fi calling? (For example are you having difficulties with buffering or loading webpages?  

It would be worth checking the advanced settings in your Hub 👉 How to set up Virgin Media broadband | Virgin Media Help (make sure you have Wi-Fi optimisation enabled, and both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands of Wi-Fi enabled), or if you haven't already please try performing a pinhole reset on the hub (insert a pin into the hole marked reset on the back of the hub for 60 seconds) which will return it to factory settings. 

Following this, if you can run a scan of Wi-Fi coverage in your home via our Connect app 👉 https://virg.in/connectapp which will identify any 'black spots' of coverage within your home. 

Please let us know how you get on, so we can then investigate further and offer additional support if needed! Thank you for your patience in the meantime! We appreciate these kinds of issues can be frustrating. 

All the best. 🌞

Molly