Menu
AIB
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wifi Boosters

I have been supplied two boosters which I have paired with the hub and strategically placed around the home. Sadly my wireless download speed has not improved and is hovering around 13Mbps although I have noticed a slight improvement in upload speed from 6.0Mbps - 9.2Mbps. In order to get the 100Mbps expected would I need to plug an ethernet cable into the booster or should I be getting better download speeds wirelessly?

Many thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi Boosters

The theoretical speeds over wifi are very fast - 2.4 GHz wifi is slower than 5 GHz, but even 2.4 GHz can (in theory) offer 300 Mbps.  Here in the real world speeds are invariably much lower, but even so, you should be able to get a 60 Mbps wifi connection over 2.4 GHz, and 90 or a lot more on 5 GHz.

So your 6-9-13 Mbps is rather pitiful, and suggests that you have either got a booster problem, or a wifi environment problem.  We can help you out, but we'll need a bit more detail on the property size, shape, age, what hub you've got, whether you've done stuff like rename the 2.4 and 5 Ghz channels, what speed you see on a wired connection from a PC or Mac connected to the hub by a network cable, what devices are reporting these wifi speeds, and things like this.

AIB
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello 

Please forgive me, I am not sure I understood the response? - I have not renamed any channels and would not know how.

I have the hub that was delivered and have installed two boosters - I was told by the engineer that his would improve my download speeds - sadly I am not seeing it.

I do not have an ethernet cable able to reach the point that he booster is plugged in. My PC is in the study on the first floor of a four bedroom detached property. The property is fairly modern the hub is in the living room on the ground floor and both boosters are installed on the first floor.

I cannot get to the plug socket in my study as it is in a corner behind my very large desk with no direct access.

Not sure that helps. I was however hoping for a better experience. The boosters are working correctly as detailed in the booklet.

Best wishes

Andrew

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi AIB,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community 🙂

My apologies for the low speeds, what devices are you testing on please?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
AIB
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Thank you for the reply

I am testing on my desktop PC - using a wifi signal.

Many thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks AIB, 

Can you confirm how the speeds are when testing a wired connection from the hub to your device?

Is it just the WiFi/ boosters you're having the issue with?

When was the last time the hub was rebooted?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
AIB
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The Hub is brand new only installed a week ago - I would not know how to reboot it.

I do not have an ethernet cable long enough to extend from the booster to my device in the study - so just the wifi speed at this time.

Many thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to connect an Ethernet cable from your hub direct to your laptop to test your speeds without using the boosters?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
AIB
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

An ethernet cable directly from the hub into the notebook gives a download speed of 102.3 Mbps

Wireless speed at my desktop PC in the Study with no direct connectivity through two boosters is 31.0 Mbps - This speed is not constant - it has been as low as 9.7Mbps and as high  as 49.5 Mbps wireless depending on time of day. - This is really not what I had hoped for.

The study  is where I need the speed but do not want to trail a cable across the house to get the speed I want

When I connect the notebook to the ethernet point on the booster I get 45Mbps- this is still only half of what I was expecting.

Something must be wrong?

Any help is appreciated

Best wishes

Andrew

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi AIB,

Can you turn the hub off/on again and then run a wired test at speedtest.net with only the one device connected to the internet? Then the same with the wireless test.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos