Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

WiFi works but Ethernet doesn't

Hi, I am using VM Hub 3 and since yesterday I am not able to access the internet via Ethernet though WiFi works perfectly fine. 

I have tried different Ethernet cables and even tried connecting it to my Smart TV which gave me the error "failed to obtain IP address"

At first I thought my PC was at fault but when I tried connecting to my other devices via Ethernet (even with different cables) it just returned the same message.

I have tried restarting and rebooting my VM Hub multiple times and still no luck. I can't even get through to VMs customer service and I'm not quite sure what to do as my PC doesn't have WiFi so I'm unable to access to the internet.

EDIT; Ethernet actually works for a minute or two after I restart my VM Hub but then it returns the same error message and I can't use it anymore. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi works but Ethernet doesn't

Are you getting a link light on either the hub or the device that you connect to it when you plug the cable in?  If not, it could be that the Ethernet ports on the hub have failed..i read somewhere that it was a known issue with the hub2 - no idea if it also affects the hub 3 tho.. 

Have you tried any of the other ports? Are they all broken?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It may be a good idea to carry out a factory reset on the Hub …

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Instructions for Hub 3

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've carried out the factory reset as you suggested but still I have the same problem. 

Once the hub reboots I am able to use the internet via Ethernet for couple of minutes and then it just stops working. I'm not even able to login into the Hub3 by going to 192.168.0.1 but on my phone I am able to log into the Hub3

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The ports aren't broken if when restarted it works for couple of minutes and then it stops working... 😒🤔

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Destiny101 wrote:

The ports aren't broken if when restarted it works for couple of minutes and then it stops working... 😒🤔

Aren’t they? If my boiler started up for a couple of minutes and then switched off, every time, I’d probably think there was an issue with it...

Do you get a link light when you connect a device to the hub? What about in different ports? What about with a different cable?

A quick google search seems to indicate that you’re not the only person to have experienced this, or similar, issue... could be worth a browse through those - see if your symptoms line up with what other people were reporting, and see what they did to resolve...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Looks like you need a new hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hmm... Not sure what happened but later today everything seems to be working in order 😁 My Ethernet works perfectly fine

0 Kudos