cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi to attic conversion

mmq
Tuning in

Hi all.

we are getting an attic conversion in our 2 story red brick semi.  I want to ensure we get a good wifi signal in the attic bedroom

at present we have the 350 speed broadband on the hub 3. speeds yesterday on my ipad were

living room 378

kitchen 67

bedroom A / office 379

bedroom B 67

bedroom C 4.

as you can see there are blackspots and i fear the signal will be weaker in the attic (the bedroom will be above bedroom C). I have used the plug in devices from VM but they did not help. The electrician says he can run cables for us upstairs if we tell him where we want them to go.

a friend of ours in a similar house , with VM, has invested approx £1000 with a company that came out and installed a UniFi AC access point/5 port  1GB PoE switch. 
I dont want to spend that sort of money . My query is should i get the electrician to put in some cabling or use a device like TP link deco M5  ? which i have seen recommended in this forum. I take it these devices are wireless?

thanks, mick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

By getting work done do you mean the full monty - replastering etc, If so you can run the cables from close to wherever the Hub is located to as many places you want to service. to build a cabled "web". We often say to run the cables in buried conduit tubing and install two cables per location. So that if one fails in 5 years time - then a second back up is already in place.

If you do the full cabling then you may not need deco's you simple buy wireless access points (the Unifi system is a Rolls Royce) to serve the areas. These can be had for ~£40 each And this is the "pro" way to do it.

Depends on your time scales etc. I would be tempted to get the M5's and set them up (ask here how to) and see if the situation is resolved - if it is fine for your needs - then you wont need to build a wired network.

Depends on your usage - I always think the Unifi approach is for semi-pro use ( 🙂 ) with high speed requirements on multiple devices simultaneously - rather than that for typical family usage. Which is where the Deco's fit the market.

The Deco's can operate over wifi - most users do it that way - or can be put on the end of ethernet cables - doing that maximises their performance/speed delivery - it reduces backhaul, improves speeds and connectivity - but again - for most "standard " usages it isnt really necessary. Only that...  if you do find the Deco's havent sorted it and then have to go for ethernet cabling - then nothing is wasted - you already have the Deco WAP's to go on the end of your new cables.

I have 3 friends who all use the Deco M5 3 packs and all get fantastic whole home coverage in their 3 floor , 3/4-bed, red brick semi's and good coverage in their (smallish) gardens - all without any cables.

But it will all depend on your particular wif environment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cabling is always better. Depends how much it would be to run a Car6a cable from the Hub to the attic (and perhaps a separate one to the upstairs too.) Have you had an estimate?

The M5's are indeed wireless. You could get the 3 pack and see if they solve the issue. If not - get the cables fitted and you can just stick the Decos on the end of the (2?) cables and that would give even better (maximum) performance.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John 

as we are getting work done I’m thinking of going for the cabling. No quote for this extra work yet. 😬

so you run the cable out of the Hub3. Out of the Tel 1 or 2. Upstairs to first floor and then up to the attic. Or  is it 2 cables , one to each floor. At the other end instal Tp link deco m5 in each floor. Do these plug into the other end of the cat6a cable?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

By getting work done do you mean the full monty - replastering etc, If so you can run the cables from close to wherever the Hub is located to as many places you want to service. to build a cabled "web". We often say to run the cables in buried conduit tubing and install two cables per location. So that if one fails in 5 years time - then a second back up is already in place.

If you do the full cabling then you may not need deco's you simple buy wireless access points (the Unifi system is a Rolls Royce) to serve the areas. These can be had for ~£40 each And this is the "pro" way to do it.

Depends on your time scales etc. I would be tempted to get the M5's and set them up (ask here how to) and see if the situation is resolved - if it is fine for your needs - then you wont need to build a wired network.

Depends on your usage - I always think the Unifi approach is for semi-pro use ( 🙂 ) with high speed requirements on multiple devices simultaneously - rather than that for typical family usage. Which is where the Deco's fit the market.

The Deco's can operate over wifi - most users do it that way - or can be put on the end of ethernet cables - doing that maximises their performance/speed delivery - it reduces backhaul, improves speeds and connectivity - but again - for most "standard " usages it isnt really necessary. Only that...  if you do find the Deco's havent sorted it and then have to go for ethernet cabling - then nothing is wasted - you already have the Deco WAP's to go on the end of your new cables.

I have 3 friends who all use the Deco M5 3 packs and all get fantastic whole home coverage in their 3 floor , 3/4-bed, red brick semi's and good coverage in their (smallish) gardens - all without any cables.

But it will all depend on your particular wif environment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi all,

Just giving feedback on the Deco m5 tp link. I bought these on amazon for £150.  I have set them up on wifi so far

the speeds have significantly improved throughout the house especially in rooms with the decos

living room 378  ( now 398)  deco 1

kitchen 67 ( now  68)

bedroom A / office 379 ( now 390)

bedroom B  3 ( now 55) deco 2

bedroom C 4. (170) deco 3

There were really easy to instal so id say they are useful for houses with blackspots, and where you don't want to do cabling.   My attic conversion is giving me a speed of 45 with no deco in that room (got no electricity yet) . Im gonna see if the electrician can put some ethernet cabling up into attic and connect one of the decos into this.   
i will let you know how it goes