Menu
Highlighted
Alan02893
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

WiFi suddenly stopped working

Hi, 

I've been with virgin media broadband just over a month now and all has been fine until last night. At approx 1am WiFi on my hub 3.0 suddenly stopped working. Tried rebooting, this didn't help, tried reset switch and reboot this still didn't work. Can see the hub ssid is being broadcast but can't connect to it. Only have one solid light on the hub so no errors being reported. Tried to connect via a wired connection and internet is working fine. Do I have a faulty hub or does anyone have any other ideas?

Regards

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi suddenly stopped working

One thing you could try is this....
Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser’s url box (if in normal router mode) and login with the Hub settings password (not the wifi one) on the Hub's base sticker (or your own P'word if you changed it).
Then in Advanced>wireless (I think) tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.
Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.
Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect each device to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.

You can also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one that is least so.

See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back or do a "pinhole factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Alan02893
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

0 Kudos
Alan02893
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

After a bit of investigation it turned out that the smart channel detection had magically turned itself on,  I disabled this and it all started working again.

0 Kudos