Menu
CH2005
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

WiFi signal too strong

Hi,

Is there a way to turn down the WiFi signal strength in the Hub 3? Can't see an option when I log into the router.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi signal too strong

What data informs you that you need to do this ? Which network bands are you wanting to supress - and why?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
CH2005
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

I am getting a signal strength of -36dBm throughout the house and garden. While it seems this strength can cause problems for some devices, my concern is different.... I am feeling odd aches/tingles in my head that persist until a short time after switching off the WiFi. Sounds bizarre, I know, and I could be imagining it🤣 but I experience this kind of thing in the car when streaming music via Bluetooth to the car stereo 🙃 The new VM installation is in the living room too, so it's pretty close to me. I have disabled 5ghz and, although there has been some improvement, the symptoms haven't gone away.

I didn't have this at all with our previous WiFi router (Plusnet fibre), even though I sometimes had to sit near it. My neighbour's router sends a -67dBm signal into part of my house and it's never bothered me. So my hope is that by adjusting the signal strength of mine I can stay with VM ☺️ 

Any thoughts? (Apart from that I am insane 🤣)

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Whilst there's no scientific support to the concept of low level radio waves having any health effects, if that's what you're felling, then it applies to you.  So rather than dispute how you feel, I'll offer you a possible solution, that (so long as you have your old Plusnet hub) there's a very good chance you can use that still.

If you put your Hub 3 in modem mode, and connect the Plusnet router by ethernet connector to the Hub 3, then the Plusnet router will probably still function as it used to, at the signal strength you're accustomed to.  This works with most routers, but you'll find that in this set up both Hub 3 and Plusnet router will only work when connected via a particular socket - most low cost routers have four sockets, and it's either the first or last.  Might be a bit of fiddling, but should work.

CH2005
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Oh, thank you so much!! I will definitely try that. And thank you for not judging my weird head ☺️☺️☺️

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

problem is plusnet DSL based so not that simple

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

CH2005
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your input. I could buy a different router -- probably needs a bit of research to find reduced WiFi signal strength while keeping the good ethernet-cabled speed my PC-gaming sons want 🙃 Though I suppose it's adjustable signal strength I am looking for rather than low.

Still wondering if VM can turn down the signal strength of the hub 3 -- some routers let the user do this and I think I read that VM can do it.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Wireless signal strengths are governed by law which applies to all routers, so there will not be much difference in power output between routers. (100mw below channel 100 in the UK) The Plusnet router may conceivably be putting out a very slightly stronger signal than the Hub, there are plenty of routers on the market with a slightly stronger output than the Hub.

It is not all about the router, your wireless clients will be outputting very similar signal strengths as well, so reducing the power of your router is pointless without reducing the power of your clients.

If you reduce the output of the router, then you can get a power power mismatch between router and client which can cause performance issues.

I am not sure how you are measuring the signal strength, but I find it very hard to believe you are getting a constant signal of -36dBm throughout the house and garden as the wireless signal will attenuate with range and obstacles. If the Hub was transmitting at the full power allowed by law, (20dBm) (It doesn't) then you would need to be within around 6m of the Hub with a clear of sight. as the Free To Air Loss of a wireless signal on Channel 1 is 56dB at 6m. Obviously, if there are any obstacles in the way the signal strength will reduce further.

To put things into perspective, the wireless signal you are getting from your neighbour at -67dBm is about the same RF power that hits one metre square of the Earth from a 3.5 magnitude star.

If you really want to freakout, splash out on a Spectrum Analyser which will show you the EM output from many other sources, not just wireless networks.

Wireless power output has nothing to do with Ethernet.

CH2005
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Very interesting, thank you.

I was measuring with the WiFi Analyzer app.

Regarding ethernet and WiFi -- I just mean that I probably shouldn't buy a cheap router if I want several ethernet users to keep good speed. I expect the best performing routers will have a strong WiFi signal. 

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Maybe changing the wifi channels being used by The Hub 3 would help. You can usually set the manually for each band.

Also, do all you need both 2.4G and 5G channels? You could try turning off each in turn and see if it is only one that is causing you issues.

You could experiment with a shield made out od cardboard and foil placed close to the hub it should lower the signal strength in the area you usually sit? I have seen reports of this technique being used to increase strength in the rquired direction so should work in reverse.

Not sure any will work but they would cost nothing to try.