Menu
CH2005
Tuning in
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi signal too strong

Thank you. I wondered if the channels would make a difference -- it's on auto at the moment so I will experiment. (I already switched 5ghz off and it made a difference but didn't resolve it completely.)

I thought it might be a bit silly (tinfoil hat and all that 🤣) to do the box and foil thing but it sounds like there's some science behind it ☺️  I've seen router guards online that apparently attenuate the radiation output with around 20-30% loss of WiFi signal. Hard to know what's real.

I am so grateful for everyone's kind contributions. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CH2005
Tuning in
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I wondered if the channels would make a difference -- it's on auto at the moment so I will experiment. (I already switched 5ghz off and it made a difference but didn't resolve it completely.)

I thought it might be a bit silly (tinfoil hat and all that 🤣) to do the box and foil thing but it sounds like there's some science behind it ☺️  I've seen router guards online that apparently attenuate the radiation output with around 20-30% loss of WiFi signal. Hard to know what's real.

Thank you for the ideas.

I am so grateful for everyone's kind contributions. 

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Placing a cardboard box over the Hub will attenuate the wireless signal somewhat depending on the thickness of the cardboard. Some of the wireless signal's energy will be absorbed passing through any material depending on the thickness and properties of the material.

There again, you are ignoring the wireless clients which also output similar wireless strengths as the router.

If you really want to buy something online I do an excellent line of chocolate fireguards.

0 Kudos
CH2005
Tuning in
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Chocolate fireguards to go with my tinfoil hat 🤣

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

-36dBm throughout the home and garden is impossible. How are you measuring the signal strength? That kind of level is only achievable when you are in very close proximity to the hub, i.e. standing right next to it.

Walls, windows, bricks, household furniture etc will all attenuate the signal so it would be impossible to have such a powerful signal all through the house and even outdoors.

Plus the Hub 3 has a notoriously poor WiFi signal anyway..

0 Kudos
CH2005
Tuning in
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

That's with the WiFi Analyzer app on my phone. Stays at that figure throughout ground floor and out to end of back garden (typical 1930s semi so not a particularly big house, medium-sized garden, hub near front wall, wall between front and back of house then french doors open). Same figure throughout the upstairs room above the hub, landing too, but my son says he thought it was weaker in the back bedroom, so I will check when home. Probably not the most accurate way to measure from what you are saying.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Then the WiFi analyser is not telling you the right answer. 

-36dBm is a VERY strong signal, and too consistent. The true level will vary dramatically as you move about the house and garden, and will drop out completely in some places. 

0 Kudos