cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi signal drops on Microsoft Teams

RevisedBigfoot
Joining in

Hi,

Me and my partner can both connect to the WiFi easily throughout the day but when we are on conference calls, the WiFi will drop for my partner more often than not.

Mine drops every now and again, my laptop is right next to the router and she is in the room next door, any suggestions on why this occurs?

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you are right next to the Hub try connecting on an ethernet cable - that ought to maintain a strong and stable connection to teams. If it doesnt you may well have a network connection issue that VM needs to look at.

You could also get a 20/50m run of ethernet cable and run it into the next room and see if the same thing happens - or it becomes stable.

If it stabilises then it is suggesting that there is a wifi issue that needs investigating rather than a network connection issue per se.

See this recent thread on a similar issue with some useful comments

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Issue-with-Teams/td-p/4875618

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @RevisedBigfoot

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your connection dropping. 

Have you managed to connect via Ethernet cable?  This would help us determine if its an issues with your WiFi or a fault on the service.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi,

Wired works completely fine, i've tried to do the above as suggested for the WiFi settings but unable to login to the Hub 3 settings, I have hard reset my router and still no joy

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Then, either make the ethernet connections permanent (best solution) - or invest in a better quality router and better wireless equipment - that should solve it permanently across the property

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi there @RevisedBigfoot

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear that you are facing this issue with your connection! 

I have had a look at your account and there do appear to be a few issues showing, for which it would be best for us to get an engineer out to take a look.

I'll send you a PM now so we can arrange this, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Thank you 

How does Virginmedia manage to test the quality of the wireless signal from the router ?

Hi Gnome 

Thanks for that question 

WiFi signal strength can be a confusing topic to understand. First, you need to know the units of measurement for a WiFi to understand what’s a good and what’s a bad WiFi signal strength.

Secondly, you need to know how to measure it in certain areas in your house and on different devices.

And thirdly, you need to understand what WiFi signal strength you require for the online activities you want to undertake.
Gareth_L