On our wavelength

Hi 

I just upgraded from 350mb to 500mb

WiFi range is weak and intermittent

Should I ask for hub 3 to be replaced to hub 4

42 REPLIES 42

zm1
On our wavelength

Currently the Virgin Media Hub range isn't powerful enough to cover the whole house

Whereas the Mesh System has helped to have WiFi accessible in weak spots

Currently all I have running off the Virgin Media Hub is the PC Via an ethernet connection & the Linksys Mesh System

Then everything from smartphones, consoles, laptops, smart TVs are connected to the Mesh System via Wireless WiFi

So how do I get best combination out of both the Virgin Media Hub & Linksys Mesh System? 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

As per above. It depends what you want to do the legwork. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

zm1
On our wavelength

What option gives me the broadest range & best WiFi speed (considering I'm on 500mb with VM)

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@zm1 wrote:

What option gives me the broadest range & best WiFi speed (considering I'm on 500mb with VM)

I would put the hub into modem mode and let the Linksys do all the work. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

zm1
On our wavelength

I'll give that a go - by the way once I do that - should I reset all the nodes beforehand or just leave them as it is

zm1
On our wavelength

I tried this morning to put the VirginMedia Hub into Modem mode but haven't been able to get the Linksys Mesh System connected to it...

The Hub is connected to the PC on port 2 & to the Parent Node on port 4

What am I not doing correctly to get the Mesh System connected to Virgin Media?

I gave up after a few hours - and went back to previous connection of both standalone

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Nothing else should be plugged into the hub apart from the main Linksys node,

Any other wired connections need to me be made to the Linksys.

You'll need to power the hub off, remove all the ethernet cables. Turn on the hub and let it power up and initialise. Then connect the Linksys and power that on,

zm1
On our wavelength

Once I do that - then I connect the Linksys via ethernet to the PC? I can't connect via WiFi has its several years old and not WiFi enabled 😶

I suppose I will have to reset all the Linksy nodes once I put the VirginMedia Hub into modem mode too

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Yes - all and any ethernet connections need to be made to the Linksys system and not the hub

zm1
On our wavelength

I've got a VM engineer coming tomorrow morning - as apparently the upgrade to 500mb over the weekend has resulted in some issues that need addressing 

From what I've read - I shouldn't consider changing the modem from Hub 3 to Hub 4???

Once the engineer finishes with his visit - I'll start afresh with the Hub in Modem mode and then reconnect the Linksy Nodes to see if there's any improvements in both WiFi Speed & Range... is that the best way forward?