gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@zm1 wrote:

Hi 

I just upgraded from 350mb to 500mb

WiFi range is weak and intermittent

Should I ask for hub 3 to be replaced to hub 4

Not if you want decent Wi-Fi no.

You'd do better to put the hub into modem mode and attach your own router or mesh system if you need decent Wi-Fi. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Nothing else should be plugged into the hub apart from the main Linksys node,

Any other wired connections need to me be made to the Linksys.

You'll need to power the hub off, remove all the ethernet cables. Turn on the hub and let it power up and initialise. Then connect the Linksys and power that on,

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

42 REPLIES 42

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@zm1 wrote:

Hi 

I just upgraded from 350mb to 500mb

WiFi range is weak and intermittent

Should I ask for hub 3 to be replaced to hub 4

Not if you want decent Wi-Fi no.

You'd do better to put the hub into modem mode and attach your own router or mesh system if you need decent Wi-Fi. 

zm1
On our wavelength

Thanks for your help - appreciated

I borrowed a mesh system from a friend (stable as was not losing WiFi anymore and the range had been extended)

I wasn't getting the top end of 350mb but moreso around 40mb in previous dead spot areas

I thought if I upgrade to 500mb - it might help with range- Obviouslynot...

So with a mesh system - I put virgin media hub in modem. Should I put the mesh system into bridge mode or leave as normal? 

Should the mesh system be giving me 500mb on every node attached - or does it not work like that?

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@zm1 wrote:

Thanks for your help - appreciated

I borrowed a mesh system from a friend (stable as was not losing WiFi anymore and the range had been extended)

I wasn't getting the top end of 350mb but moreso around 40mb in previous dead spot areas

I thought if I upgrade to 500mb - it might help with range- Obviouslynot...

So with a mesh system - I put virgin media hub in modem. Should I put the mesh system into bridge mode or leave as normal? 

Should the mesh system be giving me 500mb on every node attached - or does it not work like that?

Depends. What is the make and model of the mesh system?

zm1
On our wavelength

Linksys WHW0303 Velop Tri-Band 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

How many nodes did you use?

And did you put the hub into modem mode before attaching the mesh system?

zm1
On our wavelength

Started with 3 Nodes (but then 5)

Didn't put the VirginMedia Hub into modem mode.

Just connected the Parent Node to Hub & everything via my phone that way... All nodes have a blue light showing good strength but internet speed tests show at 40mbs

When I try the Linksys app - it showed reading at top speed (350mb or 500mb) but the nodes had no where near that (unless I'm in the same room as Hub & Parent Node)

Do u suggest I reset everything and start afresh

If so what's best way 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

If the hub isn’t in modem mode then you have both the hub and primary Linksys node acting as routers which will cause double NAT, DHCP and all sorts which could account for the slow speeds. 

zm1
On our wavelength

Should I use the Linksys App to put it in Bridge Mode

Or

Should I put the VirginMedia Hub into modem mode

Or can I do both???

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

It depends what you want to handle the routing, DHCP, NAT, firewall and so on.

If you want the Virgin hub to handle it then leave it in router mode and configure then Linksys nodes to bridge mode.

If you want the Linksys to do all the heavy lifting then put the hub into modem mode and set the Linksys up as the router.