cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi pod setup

Jaguarjaw
Tuning in

I received a pod today, one of the new hexagon ones with two Ethernet Ports. The instructions say just plug in and go but it’s not working with Ethernet.

I have previously used tp link plugs where you need two plugs to make the connection through the mains, am I right in thinking that I’ll need a second pod to do this or do they work differently?

I would just stick with the tp links as their brand new but they don’t seem to work well with the new hub 5 (getting slow internet via Ethernet and disconnecting a lot). 

Everything I’ve found online seems to be for older models 

4 REPLIES 4

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Jaguarjaw 

The following FAQ's page should explain everything. Ignore the icon link  for Wifi boosters help.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/booster-and-wi-fi-pods 

The new wifi pod should be set up close to your hub, or at a midpoint where your signal is bad,

It doesn't need connecting to the hub via ethernet. You can use the two ethernet ports to connect other equipment or another VM wifi pod.

You can't use the TP Link plugs with the VM pods.

With the VM  pod(s) you should be aware of the following requirements for the pods to work with the Hubs.

The Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode'
Channel Optimisation must be left on
The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled
The SSID must be password protected
The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match
As long as all of the above points are all met then the Pods will automatically connect to your Hub's WiFi and begin broadcasting. The wireless details from the Pods will be the same as the Hub's details, so no additional steps are required to connect up the devices in the home. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Jaguarjaw,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your WiFi pod. Have you looked through the advice given to you by @newapollo, to see if that can help to resolve your issues.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

amctravel
Joining in

As I'm about to set up my pod, out of interest, how does one check these requirements:-

Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode'
Channel Optimisation must be left on
The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled
The SSID must be password protected
The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match

Hi there @amctravel 

Thanks for popping back, if you have not made any changes to your Hub via the settings page then all these requirements will be met. If you have changed them you can check by accessing your Hub settings page by typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of a device connected to your WiFi, or you can perform a full factory reset by pushing a pen etc into the pinhole with reset above on the back of the Hub and holding it in for 60 seconds. This will ensure the original settings needed are restored.