cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi pod order , why is it so hard

Gary06028
Superfast

Went on virgin chat spoke to someone re Wi-Fi pod , ran connect app and sent screen shots as requested and agent said yes I qualify for Wi-Fi pod and ordered and will be with you in 5 working days.

didn’t arrive so back onto chat nothing on system ? So I showed them screen shot of proof that agent said it was ordered , they said not ordered but will order now and expect within 5 days , nothing showed up again , back to chat same problem not on system .

I mean really how bloody hard is it , such a simple task and being lied to as well , going around in circles with the lies and complete of any customer service .

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Why is it so hard?  Poor systems, poor processes, poor staff?  Might be an availability aspect as well, but the fact the telephone staff are saying they were never ordered makes me think this isn't merely an availability issue. 

However, I suspect a cost problem - when marketing created the Volt offer that included free pods, all they thought about was new account volumes, and meeting the company's cross-selling ambitions.  They probably never properly factored in the cost of the pods and the take-up.  There's a hardware cost for the pod that's probably around the £50 mark, but there's also likely to be a licencing fee as well since the Hub has to run Plume router emulation software.  All that eats into VM's meagre margins, and those are next to non-existent for new customer discounted offers.  I reason that as a result the pods are costing VM a lot more money than they bargained for, and so the company is seeking to reduce the number it hands out.  Having under-invested in the wifi capabilities of their hubs for years, VM saw Plume as a quick, easy solution, now it's a bit of a cuckoo in the nest - they can't get rid of it easily, and they're beholden to a private-equity wifi business that in a few years has gone from nowhere to having a valuation about 20% of the entirety of the Liberty Global group (VM's owner), and still looking to squeeze more value from customers in order to boost valuation for trade sale or a new listing.

Whilst this might sound a touch cynical, it's actually not too different to what VM did with the old (fire hazard) powerline wifi boosters, where after marketing "free boosters" for years, the company decided the cost was too high and unilaterally closed the offer to new requests, and even admitted that this was due to the cost.  But at least in that situation they hadn't enslaved themselves to a rapacious private equity business.

However, that's all moot: You've come to the best place, and the helpful UK based forum staff should be able to get this sorted out for you.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Gary06028

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums.

I am so sorry to hear that you have faced these issues when trying to order the POD. Just to confirm, were you able to use the app as detailed below so you can attempt to order these yourself: 

·         Tap Start the scan

·         Then Start the scan again

·         While connect to WiFi, Tap I’m ready

·         Wait 2 mintues for Scan

·         Scan complete, Tap continue

·         Tap Add a room, Tap the room you're in

·         Start the Scan (do this in every room)

·         Scan complete

·         Tap Optimise WiFi now if an option

·         If so, Tap Optimise

·         Optimisation complete, Tap Rescan room, 

·         Tap Start Scan

·         Tap Order a WiFi Booster if an option

Thank you

Yes done all that but received nothing and chat were useless even sent them screenshot of of proof as requested by them and they said it has been ordered but clearly it hasn't , free pod is clearly a scam and to be honest the lies chat come out with is damaging virgins reputation 

i had exactly the same experience - spoke to several handlers and despite being told my new Hub 5 and pods were ordered - they never were. The handlers just seemed to tell me what I wanted to hear to get me off the line.

When I eventually received my extra pod along with the Hub, I could not get the pods to connect - yet more calls to the help line and yet more BS so eventually, I got an engineer appointment fixed, but then over night before the engineer was due, someone at VM sorted the pods remotely and they now work as they should.

All in all, it took about 3 weeks of calls, tests, chatting on this forum with some pretty helpful people to get the system working properly.

I agree though - it shouldn't be that hard, and being basically lied to by numerous 'help desk' call handlers is not on.....not on at all.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Gary06028,

Thanks for providing that information on this, I'm sorry the Pods couldn't be offered over the Connect App, and you have continued to experience problems with our Live Chat service.

Depending on when you placed the order and then spoke with our team, it can take up to an hour for an order to process and display on some of our systems. If you had any other orders open on the account (for example, a Technician visit, upcoming package change or 24-hour Monitor), this can also delay the Pod order.

To confirm, are there any orders for a Pod showing here? Have you received any communications regarding a Pod order, such as a delivery confirmation?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ