Menu
Highlighted
joegill1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

WiFi overload???

I've really been bitten by this 'connected home' thing. I have 200mbs broadband and a Hub 3 - but the Hub 3 is connected to a LinkSys Mesh network with four nodes. I have 29 devices on that network including 4 Amazon Echos, 3 Ring doorbells and an exterior CCTV camera. There is a Nest thermostat and fire alarm, loads of wifi enabled light bulbs etc. Most of the devices I have are 2.4 GHz only. I have a Powerline to connect my Sony Smart TV and AppleTV to take some of the load of the wifi. I live in a long, narrow bungalow with the mesh hubs at the extremes. Adding more nodes to my mesh will increase coverage but not bandwidth. How can I increase the bandwidth? Would a second broadband connection help or have I just run out of channels?

0 Kudos
SonarUK
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi overload???

Have you already setup QoS?

Increasing bandwith = upgrading package.

As many others have asked -> virgin will not install 2 accounts at the same address.

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Vivid 350 | Hub 3 modem mode | Asus RT-AC86U (Stock-Firmware)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As sonar said, check if 350 or 500vvip is available in your area and if it is and you can afford it, sign up. Get some devices onto the 5GHz network. They will connect at much higher speeds. My iPhone 7 gets 220 on my vivid200 5GHz network but never more than 70-80 on the 2.4 one.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would bear in mind that only one wireless client can talk to a Wireless Access Point's radio at a time, the wireless channel is shared not only with devices on the same network but with devices on neighbouring networks in range using the same channel. So the more devices connected to a node's radio, the slower the speeds will become as each device will need to queue for talktime. Splitting the load between the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios can help.

The 2.4 GHz channel is narrow with only 3 non-overlapping channels so is prone to interference from neighbouring WAPs and domestic devices that use the 2.4 GHz band including Zigbee which some of these smart lighting system use.

A wireless network of your size needs some careful planning, ensuring that WAPs are using the best channel to avoid interference and other networks broadcasting on the same channel, a bit of a challenge on the narrow 2.4GHz band. Downloading a free wireless scanner like InSSIDer or WiFiAnalyser for Android could help with planning.

Adding additional WAPs could help to spread the load but I doubt they would help much in a relative small environment as you will probably end up with cross interference due to the lack of non-overlapping channels on the 2.4 GHz band.

I would try to wire up as much devices as possible to ease the load on the wireless radios.

From what you say, it looks like you do not have many devices that use a lot of bandwidth, but it would be wise to look at each device needs to determine the total bandwidth you need.

What specific issues are you seeing that makes you think that you need more bandwidth?

Upgrading your package will give you more bandwidth available, but whether it will be useable due to the constraints of wireless set up mis anyone's guess.

0 Kudos
joegill1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

"What specific issues are you seeing that makes you think that you need more bandwidth?"

Main problem is my Ring devices which, when asked, stream live video from the doorbells (3) and outside CCTV camera. I stress that these are not streaming together, only one at a time when requested. The videos are pixelated (not always, but often) but none of the devices are more than two metres from a mesh node. The Ring app complains about weak signals.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I take it there is an external wall between the node and the doorbells\ cctv cameras.
External walls can hamper wireless signals quite severely, depending on the wall's construction and thickness.

I would test the signal outside near the doorbells and CCTV camera with a scanner, the low signal strength could be due to the external wall attenuating the signal and\or interference from neighbouring devices.

Moving the node close to the external wall may help, if possible.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I presume your mesh nodes are not hard wired, therefore they use WiFi to talk to each other, this in turn means they soak up bandwidth. One of the reasons I would never install a mesh network, always hardwired WAPs.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As advised use wired connections as much as possible. I have my CCTV DVR and alarm both wired. Also, if you have a V6, wire it as well.

Be prepared to replace your mesh WiFi with wired WAPs.

It's always worth checking your wired speeds (as you cannot get good WiFi from a poor connection), so use speedtest.net with your hub in modem mode.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos