Menu
Tudor
Hero
Message 11 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on the Tube - sign-in problems

Well this morning on some of the northern end (TFL speak eastern!) Piccadilly Line stations were not showing the VM "Virgin Media" SSID at all, although the "Virgin Media WiFi" SSID was showing. When selecting this you got a splash screen to login, but with just "done" in the top right of the splash screen. Other stations were ok.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
patrickvm
Settling in
Message 12 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Cjcharles' issue with Hangouts is still occurring on the TFL wifi. In fact it's all Google Services that don't work.. Google Sheets, Drive, Hangouts, YouTube etc..None of them work.

My guess is they don't want people plugging up the bandwidth with YT videos
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 13 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi All, 

Thank you for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection to the WiFi on the Tube. 

I have no reported issues that I am aware of at this time. 

It may help to take a look at Managing Virgin Media WiFi and making sure the app is up to date. 

If you have had trouble try uninstalling the app and then re-installing to see if it makes a difference.

Let me know how you get on. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
cjcharles
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 25
Flag for a moderator

In that case please test this as a problem which has now been reported.

None of my family were able to use hangouts any more, and clearly other users were experiencing the same thing according to the forum.
0 Kudos
cjcharles
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 25
Flag for a moderator

In that case please treat this as a problem which has now been reported.

None of my family are able to use hangouts any more, and clearly other users are experiencing the same thing according to the forum.
0 Kudos
rjh24601
Joining in
Message 16 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I have been using the WiFi as an EE mobile customer and I'm having exactly the same issues with Hangouts/Google services.

I'm using Virgin broadband so I'll try the app later and see if that makes any difference - but based on this thread it seems unlikely.

It would be great if this could actually be investigated! Clearly a number of people are having problems (it's easy to say no issue has been reported if you ignore the reports of the issue).

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 17 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Why do people bother with the app? I only had to authenticate once on my browser by entering my Virgin Media username and password via the Virgin Media Portal page.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 18 of 25
Flag for a moderator

You don’t actually use the app, once you have installed the certificates, they are called profiles on iOS, you are automatically connected to the “Virgin Media” SSID, without any actions. Otherwise on the underground you can connect to the “Virgin Media WiFi” SSID, but this requires a logon every time you want to use WiFi on the underground. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
cjcharles
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Yes, except it continuously tries to connect to WiFi the whole time, even when you are above ground and have perfect 4G. If it connected quickly and worked flawlessly it wouldnt be a problem, but when it kills your 4G connection and takes a minute to connect to WiFi it makes your phone totally useless.

That is the reason the app is unusable. If it had an option to only connect when there was no 4G it might be ok...
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 20 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@Tudorwrote:

You don’t actually use the app, once you have installed the certificates, they are called profiles on iOS, you are automatically connected to the “Virgin Media” SSID, without any actions. Otherwise on the underground you can connect to the “Virgin Media WiFi” SSID, but this requires a logon every time you want to use WiFi on the underground. 

You connect to the “Virgin Media WiFi” but you don't have to reenter your username and password as these are stored.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos