Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 81 of 647
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

impatient wrote:

griffin wrote:

impatient wrote:

Tried a factory reset.  Lasted almost 24 hours this time, but WiFi down again this afternoon.

Are the two wireless lights permanently off?

Is the hardwied connection still working?

On this occasion both wireless lights were permanently on.  Symptoms as before - No SSID being broadcast, no wireless signal at all detected, no admin console, wired connection and WAN both working.

It looks like the wireless interface maybe locking up, rebooting the hub should clear it but if this lockup keeps on happening on a regular basis then it looks like a faulty SH.

A InSSIDer timeline  graph may yield a few clues.

0 Kudos
AkumaUk
On our wavelength
Message 82 of 647
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

I spoke to tech support for a third time this morning. This time he asked me to switch off and disconnect the SH2 from the coax as well.

He 'did things' for 5 minutes and then asked me to reconnect and switch on. He then told me he'd done every power test and line test and everything should now be fine.

WiFi stopped broadcasting at 17:45 this evening. Only the 2.5 light was on, solid not flashing. And neither SSID was available and the Admin console was unresponsive. i.e. no change.

If, as Griffin suggests, it's a faulty hub, approximately 50 people in this thread all had thier hardware failure at the same time last weekend.

I work in IT. I don't believe that's likely.
Rimmer100
On our wavelength
Message 83 of 647
Flag for a moderator

Mine has just dropped out again a couple of minutes ago.

This time the 2.4 GHz light has gone out and the 5 GHz light was solid.

Power off and on has resolved it as before.
0 Kudos
AkumaUk
On our wavelength
Message 84 of 647
Flag for a moderator

I've been trying to get a response from Virgin on twitter too. I've now started an open conversation with them.. add your voice here:

https://twitter.com/AkumaUk/status/942108704228421639
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 85 of 647
Flag for a moderator

AkumaUk wrote:
I spoke to tech support for a third time this morning. This time he asked me to switch off and disconnect the SH2 from the coax as well.

He 'did things' for 5 minutes and then asked me to reconnect and switch on. He then told me he'd done every power test and line test and everything should now be fine.

WiFi stopped broadcasting at 17:45 this evening. Only the 2.5 light was on, solid not flashing. And neither SSID was available and the Admin console was unresponsive. i.e. no change.

If, as Griffin suggests, it's a faulty hub, approximately 50 people in this thread all had thier hardware failure at the same time last weekend.

I work in IT. I don't believe that's likely.

Working in IT you should apprieciate the need for precision in diagonsing a problem, I stated that it may be faulty hardware if the wireless radios keep on locking up, in one scenario. Assuming that scenario applies to every post in this thread is a huge assumption, which in IT is a cardinal sin. I do not believe for one sceond everyone on this thread has exactly the same problem. There have been a lot of complaints about wireless dropouts before last weekens, and I do mean a lot, it is a very common problem which is outside VM's power to rectify.

The Internet dropping  connection can have a wide range of causes with a lot of variables involved so more precise diagnostic info is needed. As I've said a couple of times on this thread that some screenshots of a wireless scanner like InSSIDer would help.

Even the basics have not been fully covered as noone has reported if they can see other SSIDs when the Hub's SSIDs dissappear, thus ruling out the wireless client.

Maybe you would like to share some of your IT expertise with us and put forward your own theories.

minichaz
On our wavelength
Message 86 of 647
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
minichaz
On our wavelength
Message 87 of 647
Flag for a moderator

Sorry @griffin but my Superhub has been rock solid in respect of wifi until last week or so. There are no new access points in the area (yes, I've scanned). Similarly there's plenty of WiFi channels clear for use. Given the numbers apparently involved this smacks of a duff firmware update or similar.

Especially suspicious because historically Virgin Media employees have popped up in similar threads and offered replacement Superhubs pronto for similar issues. This last week? Silence.

Thanks
Charlie
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 88 of 647
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest are you talking about the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band?

I would be aware that wireless channels on the 2.4Ghz band overlap and overlapping channels do far more damage to the wireless signal than co-channels.

VM have confirmed that there has been no new firmware update recently and are investigating further. However, I am still open to the possibility a small scale firmware update has been released to accommodate the VM hotspot for the SH2, but I am highly sceptible.

0 Kudos
minichaz
On our wavelength
Message 89 of 647
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, @griffin, I had not read the rest of your post. :-D

The Superhub 2 wifi networks - and only the Superhub wifi networks - disappear from all the devices in my house at the same time. Android, iOS, GNU/Linux, Windows, etc. All other wifi networks can still be seen by all devices.

Rebooting the hub always brings things back immediately.

Thanks
Charlie
0 Kudos
Rimmer100
On our wavelength
Message 90 of 647
Flag for a moderator

It's just gone again! This is getting really frustrating now.

@griffin I think we appreciate what you are saying but in this instance I don't think you are being particularly helpful. Multiple people experiencing the same / similar issues (SSIDs completely vanishing is not the same as a drop out) all originating around the same date is too much of a coincide to ignore.

My SH2 has also been very stable up until last Sunday and I also work in IT and understand how to troubleshoot things.
0 Kudos