Menu
chrisnewton
Tuning in
Message 531 of 647
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

I have done nothing to fix it, it seems to have fixed itself! i had the same issues around the same time as everyone else but over the last 10 or so odd days its working fine again.

0 Kudos
outmoder
Tuning in
Message 532 of 647
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

it's been less of a problem for me since the weekend, only one reboot needed this week so far, touch wood...

0 Kudos
rickykemp
Joining in
Message 533 of 647
Flag for a moderator

here to add that i have experienced the exact same issues as demonstrated here.

I got fed up and bought a router (Dlink DIR 868L which has been fantastic) and put the SH2 into modem mode.

So, putting my diagnostic hat on and disregarding the not very useful conjecture from a handful of people in this thread that seem to want to blame end users rather than the big V:

• this issue started occurring at around the same time for a large number of people. (as a result, unless its some mad, extremely unlikely coincidence that has caused hardware failures with the same symptoms, this points to firmware updates).
  • the issue is identical for all of these people, with both hardware and software revisions matching (again, as a result, unless its some mad, extremely unlikely coincidence that has caused hardware failures with the same symptoms, this points to firmware updates)
  • in the majority of cases, end users have NOT made any changes to their set ups (again, as a result, unless its some mad, extremely unlikely coincidence that has caused hardware failures with the same symptoms, this points to firmware updates)
  • In my own case, I did experience the issue BEFORE adding in products such as Google Home or Chromecast (ruling out that this is a result of changes to client devices)
  • the SH2 works flawlessly in modem mode, and the actual internet connection never drops out when the issue occurs, only the WiFi radio (this is not a signal to noise ratio issue, or network issue)
  • interference in the local environment does not cause a WiFi radio to turn off, it prevents a client device from connecting, which is not the issue at hand (so please stop flogging this dead horse)
  • EU directives have in the last year encouraged corporations to make their equipment more 'green' which may have gone wrong (ie adding power saving systems, which may have been added in a firmware update as many are seeing a disconnect each morning, myself included)
  • there are known WiFi vulnerabilities that were highlighted around mid November (Krack) which have likely been patched by VM software engineers (again, as a result, unless its some mad, extremely unlikely coincidence that has caused hardware failures with the same symptoms, this points to firmware updates)
  • Netgear (the producer of the SH2 hardware) has had issues with Wifi radios turning off and issues with  QoS (which we can't control) on their routers before, knocking out the WiFi radios.

The fact that a moderator or 'superuser' here has stated that they have asked and been told there has been no firmware update doesn't mean a thing. Who did they ask? Someone in customer services? Or someone who is responsible for software update roll outs?

I can guarantee that this is a software update that has not been properly tested, and rolled out. On a reboot of the hub this would be downloaded and applied. This is why not every VM customer with a SH2 is experiencing it. They all will eventually.

The software team needs to get on this. I do not care if they are unable to replicate it, they aren't trying hard enough and are probably using development kit rather than the routers they give to end users. They need to set up a bank of SH2s with the hardware revision and firmware revision that we have, and leave them running and I reckon they will see the same issue.

Blueflash
On our wavelength
Message 534 of 647
Flag for a moderator

One of super users asked us to use inssider to log lack broadcast, but it seems to no longer be on the Play store.

They need to do roll back to the previous firmware, then try find cause. So we can use wifi consistently, mines now set to 2.4 only will see if survives the night.
0 Kudos
Blueflash
On our wavelength
Message 535 of 647
Flag for a moderator

@griffin @modteam any alternatives to inssider for time graphs? You need
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 536 of 647
Flag for a moderator

Here for the free version of InSSIDer.

Acrylic WiFi

WiFi Analyser for Android.

Apple Airport Utility has a basic built in WiFi scanner App which can downloaded from the Apple store, but I don't think it has a timeline graph.

0 Kudos
Blueflash
On our wavelength
Message 537 of 647
Flag for a moderator

Ok have timeline scanning you just want screenshot of when SSID goes?
0 Kudos
Blueflash
On our wavelength
Message 538 of 647
Flag for a moderator

2.4 still working for me this morning, will activate 5hz later and see if that problem

Also opted out of hub sharing yesterday, how to check if that's gone through?
0 Kudos
impatient
Dialled in
Message 539 of 647
Flag for a moderator

I don't think the screenshot I have from WiFi Analyser shows much of interest. Has the 2 lines for the 2 and 5G bumbling along with good signal strength. Then they just fall off a cliff to nothing.
0 Kudos
mrbeatnik
On our wavelength
Message 540 of 647
Flag for a moderator

That's what's happening to everyone. Drops off the chart - in other words the SSID stops broadcasting. Technical support are not listening and blaming "external factors" such as crowded channels and faulty devices connecting to the hub. They just do not understand the problem because their remote diagnostics have no way of testing the WiFi chipset from what I can gather, so they say "there is nothing wrong with the hub" if it still has an internet connection on coax.