Menu
chrisnewton
Tuning in
Message 561 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

Bummer mine dropped out again saturday night, first time in 2 weeks !
0 Kudos
Therapy
Tuning in
Message 562 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

Powering off the Chromecasts did stop the issue for me or others here, I have not removed all the phones from network.

There was a post here a few weeks ago, someone went away for Christmas (no phones connected) and the WIFI was up on return, this was after daily fails before they went away. 

0 Kudos
mrbeatnik
On our wavelength
Message 563 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Considering Android makes up about 50%* of the UK mobile OS share, it has the potential to affect half of Virgin customers. That's a lot of customers. IMO that means shouldn't need to turn WiFi off on these devices, it defeats the point of having the hub in your home, looking at these numbers.

mDNS isn't limited to Chromecast (iOS uses it too), but other devices may not be sending as much data. Also, most people probably have Android based devices (Chromecast rather than AppleTV), but that's a guess. Certainly large multicast packets in general is nothing new in networking terms.

*varies a little depending on where/when you get stats.
0 Kudos
hogsknows
On our wavelength
Message 564 of 649
Flag for a moderator

@Therapy wrote:

Powering off the Chromecasts did stop the issue for me or others here, I have not removed all the phones from network.

There was a post here a few weeks ago, someone went away for Christmas (no phones connected) and the WIFI was up on return, this was after daily fails before they went away. 

Therapy

Turning off Chormecast (or selectively any other specific device)  wont fix it.  It's a false positive - it will still keep going down. Mine seemed to be better last week, but this weekend booted about 6 times. 

Woke up this morning to no wifi too.

Ian

chrisnewton
Tuning in
Message 565 of 649
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
AkumaUk
On our wavelength
Message 566 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Hi all, returning to this post after a while away because I saw this on the register, think it confirms other users suggestions that Google / chrome devices are causing the issues.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2018/01/15/router_vendors_update_firmware_to_protect_against_googl...

This issue is not seen on SH3, I assume because it's a different vendor router.
Blackbox2342
On our wavelength
Message 567 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for sharing that article. It seems the cause of the outage has been identified now it is a case of when we will see a fix whether by a router patch or Google patch?

How do we let Virgin know so they can look at a fix?
0 Kudos
IndieAce
On our wavelength
Message 568 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,
I've been having the same issue for the last few weeks aswell.
And it got considerably worse over the weekend unfortunately.

0 Kudos
YonderBluRay
On our wavelength
Message 569 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Everyone who has posted in this thread about using a Super Hub 2 in modem mode with a different router, either new or old, has been successful in stopping the WiFi crashes. I've seen mention of Asus routers and others, and I have bought a Synology RT2600ac router which has fixed the problem for me.  So maybe the Google Cast issue on Google or Android devices is not the problem here.

-------------------------------------
Structured searchable documentation beats random FAQs any day.
mrbeatnik
On our wavelength
Message 570 of 649
Flag for a moderator

@YonderBluRay wrote:

Everyone who has posted in this thread about using a Super Hub 2 in modem mode with a different router, either new or old, has been successful in stopping the WiFi crashes. I've seen mention of Asus routers and others, and I have bought a Synology RT2600ac router which has fixed the problem for me.  So maybe the Google Cast issue on Google or Android devices is not the problem here.

I would suggest that the issue appears to be more with the way that the routers handle mass packets being sent.

Most routers will drop packets if there are too many, most will ask for them again if dropped.

The SH2 appears to be simply dying instead of handling the packets well. Your new router is probably handling the packets with no problem (has plenty of space to take them and read/queue them) or working around it (dropping and asking for them again so it can handle at it's own pace). If so, it would indicates that it's more a firmware issue with the router on the SH2. Sure Google can probably limit the amount of packets after wake, but routers - designed to handle packets and send them where needed, shouldn't just freak out 🙂