Menu
chrisnewton
Tuning in
Message 581 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

@Blackbox2342 wrote:
VM just tweeted to say that they will be upgrading all customers to the latest hub! Don't know when or how but hopefully soon.

I really hope not, i dont want the new hub 3 its no good for us gamers

0 Kudos
Therapy
Tuning in
Message 582 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

Or for people who need a VPN for work, its only way for me to connect into the office.
Some people say it works and others say it does not.
I was happy with the hub2 before the WIFI issue started.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 583 of 649
Flag for a moderator

I must confess that I haven't read all 59 pages of this thread, but I wonder if for some people it's made worse by this Chromecast (and possibly other Google devices) problem:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/15/router_vendors_update_firmware_to_protect_against_google_ch...

If this does have any bearing, then note that the only mitigation is to keep your Chromecast powered off when not in use, because the chances of a firmware update for the SH2 and SH2ac are lower even than the long fabled but not-issued patch for the Hub 3.  Note as well that potentially this Chromecast problem will affect Hub 3 users.

0 Kudos
impatient
Dialled in
Message 584 of 649
Flag for a moderator

@impatient wrote:

I think it is the software on the Chromecast itself is the issue.  Rather is it the Youtube app on the Android device side? 

So, to reply to myself, it looks like it.  Completely unplugged my Google Home and Chromecast, and opening my Android phone this morning killed the router.

I certainly think Virgin should be looking at a software update for the hubs here.  Seems like a security issue that it is trivial to crash these hubs.  And hopefully for our sanity, Google are implementing fixes too.

Blueflash
On our wavelength
Message 585 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Have you removed home ( the Google Chromecast app) from your android phones, as they could still be searching for your Chromecast?

0 Kudos
impatient
Dialled in
Message 586 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Not sure it's just the home app. There are cast capabilities built into YouTube, photos, iPlayer, Play Music to name just a few.
0 Kudos
John-c1
On our wavelength
Message 587 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Chromecast will not effect the SH3 as it uses the Arris chipset.
0 Kudos
ukripper
Tuning in
Message 588 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Just adding my pain to the list - Having this issue since 4 weeks. Twice a day reboot of router. Chromecasts disabled to no avail. Let's hope VM are actually working on some 'unannounced' firmware update. If it doesn't get sorted soon I'll have no choice but to look elsewhere.

Plus i don't want to buy a secondary router just to get wifi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
The_Oracle
Dialled in
Message 589 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Well its been 1 week since i got my Netgear Nighthawk X4S router and not a single problem since!

As i stated in an earlier post, i disabled wifi on everything in my flat, and the wifi on the hub still crapped out by the morning, hence myself buying said router.

dimpase
Joining in
Message 590 of 649
Flag for a moderator

It suffices to have a neighbour with a new Android phone, I suppose, to bring SH2 down. We our SH 2 crashing quite often since we came back from Xmas vacation.
VM, don't shift the blame - it is a vulnerability in your hardware.
0 Kudos