Menu
dtadamson
Joining in
Message 571 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

Well after 2 weeks of only having to reset every 2 or 3 days - last night when we had managed 4 days without a restart - 3 failures all within 35 minutes and 2 of them took out the internet and home network for everything including wired.

The 3rd failure took everything out for about 5 minutes and then wired internet was back along with home wired network. But no wifi.

This started about 11:30pm - as I was trying to watch the NFL on gamepass so I was not amused at all.

0 Kudos
impatient
Dialled in
Message 572 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

Chromecast / Android as the cause certainly makes a lot of sense.  Would fit with the times I have "seen" it happen - after waking up an Android tablet for a longish period of time.

Reading the background, I don't think it is the software on the Chromecast itself is the issue.  Rather is it the Youtube app on the Android device side?  Looks like there was an app update around the 8th Dec, which would tally.  

0 Kudos
Blackbox2342
On our wavelength
Message 573 of 649
Flag for a moderator

VM just tweeted to say that they will be upgrading all customers to the latest hub! Don't know when or how but hopefully soon.
John-c1
On our wavelength
Message 574 of 649
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
John-c1
On our wavelength
Message 575 of 649
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Blackbox2342
On our wavelength
Message 576 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Would a Chromecast enabled phone cause this issue? I ask about I replaced my Chromecast with a Roku / Firestick a while back and I don't have a Google home yet experience this issue.

Also these two devices aren't on over night and I get dropouts through the night. Only thing connected then would be phones / tablets.
bonzer
On our wavelength
Message 577 of 649
Flag for a moderator

That MDNS issue looks like an interesting possibility to me. Just read an equivalent article on The Register and came here to post but I see we're already on it.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/15/router_vendors_update_firmware_to_protect_against_google_ch...

So the way I read it, it would be the Android end that would be causing the problem. So even if your Chromecast is switched off (or maybe if you don't even have a Chromecast) it would still do it when a phone or tablet came out of standby.

It talks about recent versions of Android (I have Android 7). I wonder if it also affects Chromecast enabled apps on iOS too so maybe it would do it if you had a iPhone too with the appropriate Google app installed.

mrbeatnik
On our wavelength
Message 578 of 649
Flag for a moderator

"So the way I read it, it would be the Android end that would be causing the problem."

Yes and no... IMO. Yes, it may be spewing packets incorrectly, which could be fixed at the Android end, but many routers can handle this deluge of packets, and do. And so they should. If there is a "real issue" to deal with it is more reasonable to throttle the response to the device, or cut out that device from communicating for a short period rather than turning off WiFi.

In theory, if you can effectively perform a DDOS on the router by spamming mDNS and your modem is part of the Virgin Media hot spot, I might just be able to kill your WiFi from outside your house?

That definitely sounds like an urgent hub issue to me...
bonzer
On our wavelength
Message 579 of 649
Flag for a moderator

That definitely sounds like an urgent hub issue to me...

Yes I agree it should be fixed at the hub. If that's the problem many Android devices may never get updated and someone could bring round a non-updated device and kill your network. There was mention of a beta for Netgear routers. Maybe something will come out of that.

What I was meaning to say was people further back in the thread were thinking it was the Chromecast device itself that was causing the problem. Whereas my reading is it's the Chromecast clients that are causing the problem. So any random phone that happens to have a Chromecast app such as Netflix or BBC iPlayer might cause the issue. This answers the question of why your wi-fi might drop out when the Chromecast device is switched off or not present.

So say you watch a YouTube video before bed. You put your phone into standby. The YouTube app is still lurking in the background. Your phone wakes up briefly in the middle of the night e.g. to receive an email. The YouTube app is now alive and spams out looking for a non-existent Chromecast and bam, there goes your network.

Highlighted
itekweni1
Joining in
Message 580 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Hi just a report back about wifi problem I got SH3 self installed this morning and wifi so far good r but a warning that if you are using a VPN service it will not work on SH3 as i have now lost connection with companies server in Germany which i had to use a vpn to connect and having read the forums with this regard and it looks like I am having to get a router and hopefully sort my problem so just be careful wanting a SH3 if using VPN's...cheers

0 Kudos