Menu
Highlighted
penfold1992
On our wavelength
Message 551 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

I will remove the chrome cast from the network and see if this is the issue.
Will keep everyone updated
0 Kudos
penfold1992
On our wavelength
Message 552 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

in the mean time... will someone from Virgin wake up please?

56 pages on the community forum and very minimal response from Virgin on this topic.

No one here is asking for miracles, instead we expect regular communication and understanding that you are aware that there is an issue.

How about some Data Analytics showing the number of customer's Virgin Media has lost due to instability of wifi, frustration about the router (either SH2 or SH3) or highlighting zones in which complaints have come from? Is the issue country wide, world wide, city wide etc?

56 pages and Virgin makes a minimal number of posts, why is this not a hot topic on someones desk? You run the forums, you can see the thread count, you can see the trending topics, what possesses you to ignore the situation. If you do not know what the problem is, just come out and say you do not understand where the problem is coming from!

Is it going to take a certain number of customers to quit or send you their mobile phone internet usage bills because the expected wifi wont cover their needs?

Is it going to take some individual setting up an attack on the Virgin's infrastructure through some DDoS attack on your forums or website?

Is it going to take many people private messaging your staff on the VM board in hopes that someone opens up their inbox to find 500+ messages from customers requesting something other than silence?

The management decision to be quiet on these issues is exactly what infuriates people.

56 pages Virgin. 56 pages. Wake up.

_rich_
Joining in
Message 553 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Could be on to something, as WiFi tended to drop more after opening YouTube app on my phone. Don't think this can be disabled from phone so will have to take tivo box and other cast devices off network and see how it goes.
0 Kudos
The_Oracle
Dialled in
Message 554 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Before i bought my router, i unplugged Google Home, Chromecast, phone and tablet, only thing that was connected was PS4 Pro, still has the wifi conk out on me!

Since i bough my router and Superhub 2 in modem mode, i have had no issues.

0 Kudos
penfold1992
On our wavelength
Message 555 of 649
Flag for a moderator

yep, its gone again for me now too.
If Chromecast does cause a problem, its not the only thing causing a problem
0 Kudos
Blackbox2342
On our wavelength
Message 556 of 649
Flag for a moderator

No Chromecast on the network but have had 3 dropouts in less than 24 hours. Another call beckons (to retentions this time).

Should add the third drop out occurred over night when no devices were in use!
0 Kudos
Therapy
Tuning in
Message 557 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Everyone without a chromecast, do you all have Andorid phones/devices? with recent ish versions of the OS?

Its Android that is sending the bad traffic:

"Normally the device should send a couple of packets every 20 seconds, but in recent Android versions the apps sometimes send large bursts of so-called “MDNS multicast discovery packets” when it goes out of sleep mode. Sometimes more than 100,000 packets, at high speeds, in a short time, according to the TP-Link engineer. The longer the device has been in sleep mode, the more packets are send."

Blackbox2342
On our wavelength
Message 558 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Can't speak for anyone else but got multiple Android devices in the house!

If this is the issue is there anyway to check for it and / or a fix?
0 Kudos
jimbobno1
Tuning in
Message 559 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Interesting about MDNS. Just did a search and found this article from a few days ago which sounds very like our problem.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/14/google-home-max-appears-killing-wifi-networks/

It does very much feel like Google/Android is at the root of the issue, although it was fixed by firmware updates on other routers.

Mine dropped out about 5 or 6 times yesterday after a couple of weeks of stability. Will turn off all Chromecast devices again and see if it helps.
Blackbox2342
On our wavelength
Message 560 of 649
Flag for a moderator

Very interesting more progress than Virgin it seems!

We have two Android phones on the network, plus Fire OS (which is based on android so unsure if that would do anything?). Should we be turning WiFi off on these devices?
0 Kudos