Menu
YonderBluRay
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 627
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

HELLO VIRGIN MEDIA?!!

How many complaints of equipment failure from customers does it take for you to get back to us with a fix for this issue?

My Superhub 2 started losing wifi occasionally (but not ethernet) some weeks ago, but now it can happen several times a day. Initially only the 2.4 GHz light went out, although both 2.4 and 5 GHz died. Now both lights go out, and like everyone else here a reboot fixes the issue for a time.

What have we got to do to get some action on this? I tried to get an online chat today, but lost the will to live.

-------------------------------------
Structured searchable documentation beats random FAQs any day.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 32 of 627
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

impatient wrote:

1     So thinking about it, it seems 3 areas that could be causing this.Something at the cable network side.  Seems unlikely.  Assuming we are all over the country, power level faults and other things that seem to cause problems on the cable network seem unlikely to be the case given how many of us have the issue.

Likely, However, any local circuit impairments would cause all devices connected by ethernet cable to drop as well. So, the first step in diagnosing connection dropouts would be to determine if the connection is dropping out VM's WAN side or your local WLAN side. This is easily done by testing with a device directly connected to the Hub or by ethernet cable or observing the Hub's lights. The Network logs would also reveal any WAN dropouts
2   Something within the Superhub itself.  Seems likely.  Something has started happening to us all in the last week on the same Superhubs which were working ok up to this point.  Given the number of reports on these forums alone it seems like something beyond coincidental failure of the Superhubs.  So, has Virgin pushed something to them that is causing this?  New software?

Unlikely, There have been no firmware updates for the SH2 in the last week and there are no mysterious wireless malefactors at work  My SH2 is fine.
Wireless dropouts are a very common problem, and a clutch of wireless dropouts in a short space of time is coincidental. Trawl back through the boards and will will find hundreds of similar problems.
However, a hardware failure of the hub is certainly a possibility, however would be in the back of the usual suspect line as there are far more likely causes of wireless dropouts.

3    Something on the Wifi network side.  Seems possible.  I usually have a wide range of devices connected, all the usual - computers, tablets, phones, TVs, consoles and smart home devices on a variety of OS.  Possibility one of these has updated recently in some way which is killing the router.  This is the only one I can give a go troubleshooting by removing them from the network one by one to test.

Very likely. The major cause of wireless dropouts by far is Interference from neighbouring networks and domestic gadgets, especially on the narrow 2.4Ghz band. I read somewhere that Cisco reported that around 70% of all their networking problems where caused by interference, 30% of which was interference from non 802.11 sources.
You can do a Google search on wireless interference and peruse the 106 million hits to get a better understanding on how common this problem is and tips on how to minimise the impact.

However, there are other causes of wireless dropouts like driver\OS compatibility, so lumping all dropouts under one heading is not productive as each problem has to be looked at on it's own merits.

0 Kudos
chrisnewton
Tuning in
Message 33 of 627
Flag for a moderator

Add me to the list.. Teesside area and since Saturday night my super hub 2 is dropping connection.. Been perfect for years and now needs rebooting daily 

0 Kudos
dadioflex
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 627
Flag for a moderator

Out of that lot, the only device in common so far is that I have a Google Home

Hmm. I also have a Google Home. Hard to see how it is able to literally knock out the router WiFi, so that the WiFi connection lights go out AND even though I still have a wired Internet connection on my network, I can't connect to the router IP address and if I run the self help diagnostic on the VM website it says my equipment isn't turned on.

FWIW, other devices connecting by WiFi are a Nexus 4, a Moto Z, an iPad 3, an Echo Dot, a Chuwi W10 tablet and a Fire Stick.

Is there a limit to the number of connected devices?

0 Kudos
Trekker24689
Tuning in
Message 35 of 627
Flag for a moderator

Mmm I just bought a ethernet cable today and tried it. When the wifi dropped out on my phone and iPad the wired connection did not work. Worked after rebooting the router. Seems the opposite of others where the wired was working when the wifi not.

0 Kudos
chrisnewton
Tuning in
Message 36 of 627
Flag for a moderator

I have 3 Google homes but I have had 3 since Launch and this has only started happening since Saturday..

It's definitely not a hardware issue and not all of our superhub 2 would suddenly develop a fault at the same time. 

Also yea there have always been loads of threads about connection dropouts but it's more than coincidence..all starting at weekend? Nah something has happened. 

I don't want a superhub 3 I'm a gamer, please virgin respond to this and get a fix 

0 Kudos
AkumaUk
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 627
Flag for a moderator

@Griffin

I appreciate you're trying to help, and you've clearly been an active user in these forums for a long time, so have a lot of good advice to offer...

However, we are not discussing 'dropouts' to the WiFi signal or interference. The service is not poor or congested or temperamental.

The WiFi service stops completely. Both bands. The wifi lights go out on the SH2. Wired connectons continue to work, but the admin console 192.x.x.x. ceases to respond. You cannot attribute that to general interference, device drivers or something outside of a problem with the SH2 whether that be cause or effect..

Please help us and the community by using your influence as a super user with the Virgin support team to get some visibility on a rapidly growing issue.

Thanks
Akumauk

Slim01
Tuning in
Message 38 of 627
Flag for a moderator

I just joined to post about my Superhub2 constantly dropping WiFi over the past week and then noticed lots of others are having the exact same problem. 2.4 and 5 lights go out, no WiFi on any device and reboot required to regain WiFi... temporarily. VERY ANNOYING. particularly as Virgin has just increased their price again
0 Kudos
chrisnewton
Tuning in
Message 39 of 627
Flag for a moderator

Yea both my WiFi lights go out too.. Definitely something going on to cause this 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 40 of 627
Flag for a moderator

AkumaUk wrote:
@Griffin

I appreciate you're trying to help, and you've clearly been an active user in these forums for a long time, so have a lot of good advice to offer...

However, we are not discussing 'dropouts' to the WiFi signal or interference. The service is not poor or congested or temperamental.

The WiFi service stops completely. Both bands. The wifi lights go out on the SH2. Wired connectons continue to work, but the admin console 192.x.x.x. ceases to respond. You cannot attribute that to general interference, device drivers or something outside of a problem with the SH2 whether that be cause or effect..

Please help us and the community by using your influence as a super user with the Virgin support team to get some visibility on a rapidly growing issue.

Thanks
Akumauk

Again there is no mention of the wireless lights going out in the post I replied to.

The symptoms you describe sounds like the Hub is dropping the WAN connection and re-registering with the CMTS. If this is the case then the tick light wil flash and the traffic light will flash green.

If this is not the case then it looks like a fault with your hub, hardware or firmware. Did you try doing a FR like I suggested in the other thread?

It is clear that not all contributors to this thread have the same problem, some cases are clearly showing the WAN connection dropping and one with a third party router.

To determine a common problem we need to establish if the WAN connection is still working and the Wireless lights are going out for over a  minute, and that a FR does not cure the problem as the SH2's firmware can get a bit flaky at times. (I had a problem in the past where the 5Ghz light went out and stopped broadcasting which a FR resolved)

0 Kudos