Menu
dadioflex
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 626
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

Yeah, FWIW, I've had the same problem with my SH2. WiFi crashes and the web interface becomes inaccessible until I manually reboot it. Wired connection is fine.

Really can't see why it would have anything to do with snow or other weather. The SH2 is connected to the Internet. It takes that Internet connection and broadcasts a WiFi signal. It's not like there's a WiFi "signal" travelling down the connection into the router.

I'd guess it's the result of some kind of software update.

Trekker24689
Tuning in
Message 22 of 626
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi on SuperHub 2 dies multiple times every day - How do I get the SuperHub 3?

I just got home from work a few hours ago and no internet. rebooted the router and works.  lasted just over 1.5 hours till I rebooted.  I called VM when I got home and they ran some tests and wanted to turn off the router to do some test but when I mentioned it was ok after rebooting for an hour or so I was transferred to Technical help who ran tests when I was on hold.  They said an engineer would need to com out which will be on Saturday.  they would compensate for the the downtime and trouble.  Hoping its the router but who knows.

0 Kudos
lustrare
Tuning in
Message 23 of 626
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same problem started at the weekend around the 9th December.

Wifi dies after some hours.
None, one or both wifi lights turn off.
SSID's no longer broadcasting.
Control panel stops responding.
Wired connection continues to function as normal.
Noticed two random reboots while troubleshooting the issue.

The only changes have been a speed upgrade that was confirmed to be up and running on the 28th November and a smart electrical meter installed 4 meters below the router on the 6th December.

tanckb
Joining in
Message 24 of 626
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same here since the weekend! I have also posted on another thread before seeing this. Has anyone actually managed to get a non generic response from someone with a brain at Virgin yet?

0 Kudos
impatient
Dialled in
Message 25 of 626
Flag for a moderator

So thinking about it, it seems 3 areas that could be causing this.

1. Something at the cable network side.  Seems unlikely.  Assuming we are all over the country, power level faults and other things that seem to cause problems on the cable network seem unlikely to be the case given how many of us have the issue.
  2. Something within the Superhub itself.  Seems likely.  Something has started happening to us all in the last week on the same Superhubs which were working ok up to this point.  Given the number of reports on these forums alone it seems like something beyond coincidental failure of the Superhubs.  So, has Virgin pushed something to them that is causing this?  New software?
  3. Something on the Wifi network side.  Seems possible.  I usually have a wide range of devices connected, all the usual - computers, tablets, phones, TVs, consoles and smart home devices on a variety of OS.  Possibility one of these has updated recently in some way which is killing the router.  This is the only one I can give a go troubleshooting by removing them from the network one by one to test.
AkumaUk
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 626
Flag for a moderator

You make some good points. I was pretty sure it was firmware / software but nothing seems to have changed recently on the SH2.

Another device we all have in common IS technically possible. I'll start the ball rolling, as I only have a few devices connected. They are:

1) Samsung S8. Nougat 7.0
2) Oneplus5 Nougat 7.0
3) Google home. Not sure if version
4) Asus tablet Nougat 7.0

That's it. Anyone have these? I'm happy to turn off one by one and look for reoccurring issues..

Edit: also can someone confirm if this issue occurs in modem mode or not? I've seen both mentioned...
Trekker24689
Tuning in
Message 27 of 626
Flag for a moderator

I have:

1) 2 Imacs
2) Galaxy S7 (though this has not been in the house for 8 days)
3) Galaxy S7 Edge
4) iPad Air
5) Samgung TV
6) Sony TV

thats all though I have had these all running without changing anything in the last week or so.
impatient
Dialled in
Message 28 of 626
Flag for a moderator

Out of that lot, the only device in common so far is that I have a Google Home.  Hmm...not promising Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Eddie-Hitler
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 626
Flag for a moderator

This is happening more frequently now. Getting to be a right ball ache!
0 Kudos
jimbobno1
Tuning in
Message 30 of 626
Flag for a moderator

Just signed up to say that I have got the exact same issue. Started a few days ago, only fixed after a reboot, happens 2 or 3 times a day at least, router has been in same position for years. Wired connection is absolutely fine - I run a home office network at the bottom of the garden over powerline, which hasn't had any issues. 

I have both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks enabled. I have found that when my Chromecast unit is turned on it immediately drops out both networks. Although it's just happened again and Chromecast has been on for a few hours already, so not sure if it's that. It doesn't seem to have a pattern. I signed up to ThinkBroadbands Quality Monitor to see if it was  a wider network issue, but it doesn't seem to be. Just drops out without warning.

Anyway, going to monitor this for replies. I don't really want to call Virgin themselves as I know how the conversation will go and I really don't want to spend half an hour going through the same questions which doesn't actually resolve anything. But I suppose calling them highlights that it's a widespread issue.