cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi/network.issues

Shaker
Joining in

Hi I've just joined virgin and I'm having some issues with the quality my internet in certain rooms. The WiFi is coverage is good all over my house but I keep getting no internet connection I'm my bedroom which is driving me insane as I have 3 out of 4 bars of signal any ideas 

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub is it Hub3or4or5?

This is my standard response to wifi issues.

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂
To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the quick response 

I've done abit of research (googling) and this seems to be the best solution. I never had an issue with sky i only left to get a better speed. 

Thanks alot 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Don’t go by the WiFi bars on a phone for signal strength, there are two parts to the signal, to the device and from the device. You only see the to the device signal strength.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2