Menu
nmy537
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

WiFi mesh extension

Current idea is hub3 in lounge cabled to Amplifi HD https://www.amplifi.com/ in bedroom 1.

Amplifi has 4 ports, 3 of which will cable to bedroom TVs (as an ethernet switch)

Amplifi HD will boost WiFi upstairs.

Will probably need a mesh wand in the new extension for full coverage.

Am I missing anything?

Flaws or issues with this idea?

Alternative kit?

I am a "plug and play" person not a techie.

Thanks

0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi mesh extension

Hi, you wont be able to use the superhub as part of the mesh, it will act as a seperate wifi network. I tried messing around with other routers around my home using the same SSID but different channels and found it just did not work.

You would have to change the network manually on most phones etc, or they would disconnect for a few seconds while roaming from one router to another.

The superhub wont work with a mesh so you would need to put one of your mesh nodes where the superhub is and turn off all the wireless functions on the superhub.

I ended up buying a unifi system, i have 4 unifi ap's around my house and a usg router (also unifi) connected to my Superhub 3 which is in modem mode. The USG router is so much more powerful than the superhub it handles all my LAN and WLAN traffic without a hiccup. My mesh works perfectly handing off devices from one ap to another without the user even realising.

the system you are looking at is simular, but this will probably only  work properly if you had the superhub in modem mode. i wouldnt bother trying to use this with the superhub 3 as the router.. its a pile of toot! best thing i ever did was put my superhub in modem mode and use my own router and wireless system. shout me if you need any help or more info 🙂

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos
nmy537
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

What router and access points do you have/recommend?

Presumably ap is wired.

0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

yes all the ap's are wired, and they have power injectors as well so the power is provided through the lan cable. this is much easier for installing because you only need to worry about getting the lan cable to the access point.

i have 2 of these ap's

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LR-802-11ac-Dual-Radio/dp/B016K5A06C/ref=sr_1_3?ke...

and one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_2?keyword...

and one of these for the outside

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-UniFi-AC-Outdoor-Mesh/dp/B01NAAWOGO/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=unifi+ap&q...

and this is the router, i also have a server running which runs the controller software, this manages all the traffic and makes this system very stable, each Ap is basically a linux computer, and they all constantly talk to eachother and the controller, so when you wonder around the house they know the best time to "hand off" your device to the next nearest AP.

This is the router i have which is also unifi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-Networks-Security-Gateway-Router/dp/B00LV8YZLK/ref=sr_1_2?keywords...

this is connected to a 24 way managed HP switch which is the main switch in my house, thats connected to 3 other switches arouns the house and manages all the AP traffic and the LAN traffic.

you do need a controller, now this can either be software that you run on a pc on your network (like a server) or you can buy the little controller box that just plugs into a switch on your network and does it all for you. I am runing the software on a pc that runs 24/7 in my home, but it would be cheaper on electricity to run the controller from unifi, i just havent bothered as i run a server for plex and ftp anyway so the software route works better for my setup,

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Fine suggestions but a little "techie" for the OP dont you think ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

hi, Its not really that hard, it look harder than it is and there are always people online who can advise and help. You can buy a complete system in the box which will work in a simular way, but you get what you pay for.

I did look at google mesh and netgear etc and decided to go the more enterprise route just purley to make sure the system actually worked how i wanted. google etc do work but they are limited in some homes due to the walls and whats in them. Its a risk worth taking if you are not technically minded or know about routers and switches and wireless works, if you just want a quick fix that plugs in then yes go for it. unifi is the sort of system you would install in public places like hotels, schools etc, thats the only reason i went for that. I knew it would do what i needed it to. i wasnt convinced google or netgear etc wpuld actullay work as well.

I know its not cheap but i can honestly say my network at home is flawless, even going upstairs to the back of the garden! well worth the money in my opinion and its not too hard to set up.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So continue to use the Hub as router, switch off its wifi and attach a couple of the Ubiquiti WAP's. Easier ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you could do that yes. personally i wouldnt as the superhub 3 is a very basic router. you dont have to use the unifi router.. you could put the super hub 3 in modem mode and buy an asus router, even that would be much better. I did that to start with and it soved all my network issues but not the wireless, thats when i upgraded to unifi.

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:
So continue to use the Hub as router, switch off its wifi and attach a couple of the Ubiquiti WAP's. Easier ?

easier, yes. but better and/or preferrable, no.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

@jbrennand wrote:

easier, yes. but better and/or preferrable, no.

Hoisted by own petard Smiley Happy

You are right of course -  as I myself always use hubs in modem mode with by own better featured wireless router and wireless extensions.  Just that the OP has said he isn't a "techie" and asking for recommendations is like saying "can you recommend me a car".   It depends on what features  they want in their router, how they want to set up wireless from it and of course - what budget do they have?

--------------------
0 Kudos