cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi lost since upgrade

kanu79
Tuning in

I recently upgraded from 350 to 500mbps WiFi. As soon as that happened my second ethernet connection (from the back of my virgin router to another one in the garden office) stopped working altogether. Not only is the router in the garden office not working but when plugging directly into a laptop the there is no connection.

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model do you have? Did it change upon the upgrade?

Is the new Hub in normal router mode or is it switched into modem only mode with the garden office router doing the routing ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hub 4. No change. No, it's still in router mode. The hub still works, it's the connection to the garden office that doesn't. Thanks

your garden should be connected to your router not your virigin media hub as in modem mode only one ethernet port works on the virgin media hub,

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Modem Mode

It was working fine until this upgrade 

so before the upgrade you were running your virgin hub in modem mode and using two ethernet ports with two different routers in your home network. I have never heard of being able to do that. I have always been told and read that only port 1 on the ethernet on your virgin hub will work for ethernet in modem mode.
My Broadband Ping - Virgin Modem Mode

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Fizz is correct for the Hub3 - only one port works when in modem mode - but i believe on the Hub4/5 the other ports remain active. Can someone lse confirm whether that is correct - as I have never even seen one 🙂

So the question then becomes what other "router" do you have connected to the Hub and the other in the garden office - make/model? And is the second one set to router mode or have you got it in bridge mode (as you should)?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The hub 4 is in router mode. We use it for WiFi, as well as having the TV connected by ethernet. 

The router in the garden is a TP link, but I know the issue isn't that because the ethernet that runs directly from the hub 4 to the garden room isn't working, even when I plug a laptop in via ethernet.

And this setup was working fine until my recent upgrade.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I would suspect the ethernet cable to the office is borked. If you use a new ethernet cable to plug the same laptop (assuming you know it has a working ethernet port) into the same port on the Hub4 does it than connect ok?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi Kanu79, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your Hub 4's ethernet connection looked into, I am sorry it seems to have coincided with the recent upgrade you signed up to. 

I have taken some time to look into your services on my side and cannot see any major issues with your Hub. 

However, as you've mentioned you have a 3rd party router connected to the Ethernet port that is not working, I have some advice that may help get it working again - 
If you wish to use your own 3rd party router then the Hub must be set to 'Modem Mode'. Currently the Hub is in it's default mode.

The Hub's settings can be changed by logging into the Hub's GUI by typing 192.168.0.1 into the URL bar of a web browser and entering the Settings password - the default password is printed on the label on the bottom of the device.

Please let us know if this helps. Our VIP's like @jbrennand and others will be able to give further advice on handling the 3rd party router if that is found to be the issue 😊

If you feel the issue is primarily within your Hub's remit then I would go onto your online account and perform a diagnostic test to see if that detects any problems. 

Please let us know how you get on!

Thanks,

Megan_L