Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi keeps dropping

Loosecanons
Superfast

Hi 

I have a Hub 3.0 router.

In the past 24 hours I have lost WiFi at least three times on all devices. Once I had to restart the hub whilst working.

It has just gone again.

Diagnostics say one of my bands may be inactive and I need to reset the Hub.

Is that really necessary?

Fyi I was visited by engineers last month who said they had to fix a faulty street connection that was pixelating my TV. They say they fixed it outside but I don't know when.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Loosecanons wrote:

Hi,
thanks for your help.
I had a visit from an engineer last month.
His recommendation was to only use one frequency and to let the router do the rest. I was already on dual.
<snip>

Unless you are using the VM Pods, it would be best to split the SSID's and turn off the "Smart Optimisation".   Use a wifi analyser and choose your own channels depending on the environment in your property.  As already stated just add, say -2 and -5 to the end of the SSID's and you can pick the best one for each of your wifi devices. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

If ethernet connects are fine - you would definitely be better off investing in your own routing solution!

It'll keep you sane!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Loosecanons,

Sorry to hear that you have been having connection issues. How has things been since your post? I have run a remote diagnostic and have not been able to identify any issues with your connection.
We can also provide online broadband help here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/services-support/broadband
Let us know if you need any further help.

Cheers,
Corey C

10 REPLIES 10

SteNix2020
Up to speed

Are You loosing connection on wired devices also? What are the lights doing on the hub when you loose connection.

If its soley Wireless that your lossing connection on You can try and change the channels your Wireless broadcasts on this can help with congestion especially on the 2.4ghz band. 5ghz offers more speed for closer devices but doesn't offer the same distance as the latter.

Try adding 5G on the end of the 5ghz network that way you can connect devices further away to the 2.4 band.

Hi,
thanks for your help.
His recommendation was to only use one frequency and to let the router do the rest. I was already on dual.
I had a 'faulty' connection on the road which I am told was fixed by another engineer - I had very bad TV pixilation which has now improved.

In the meantime I have left it as dual frequency but one of them keeps dropping.
I don't know what the light status was when it dropped. Nothing is wired so I don't know about that.

I'll keep an eye on it. It hasn't dropped for 24 hours at the moment.

thank you

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Loosecanons wrote:

Hi,
thanks for your help.
<snip>

Unless you are using the VM Pods, it would be best to split the SSID's and turn off the "Smart Optimisation".   Use a wifi analyser and choose your own channels depending on the environment in your property.  As already stated just add, say -2 and -5 to the end of the SSID's and you can pick the best one for each of your wifi devices. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks
I added -5 to one of the SSID's when I got the router.

I don't know what a VM pod is.

My daughter was losing WIFI when studying in her room (less that 10m from the router).
Virgin sent us some sort of booster which is still in its box as it apparently it came with a fee which they didn't tell us about.
We have a long ethernet cable pinned and hanging from the ceiling that she used at the time . Not pretty.

None of my children use the wifi on their phones as it's too unreliable they tell me 🤦‍

I'll see if I can find an analyser somewhere

thank you

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The "Pods" are the new VM boosters, and yes are not free unless you are on 1GB or Ultimate OOmph bundles.  £5 pm I believe is the going rate at present, money that could go towards buying a better wifi Mesh system that you will own.

The Google play store has many wifi analyers for Android phones, but iOS phones don't have similar apps due to the tight security of the OS.

Hi

Update on this. 

I still have wifi issues.

It randomly drops each evening.  Working from home gets worse.

Either caused by a weak signal or something else but I'm constantly reconnecting my apps online. I tried wifi analysers and they said I had a medium signal however the Virgin app says everything is grrreat . No surprise. 

Perhaps I need a wifi extender. Are we allowed to recommend any on this forum?

I would prefer the type where you hardwire from the router to an extender but find them hard to find. All seem to be wireless 

Any suggestions appreciated 

Thanks 

If ethernet connects are fine - you would definitely be better off investing in your own routing solution!

It'll keep you sane!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Loosecanons,

Sorry to hear that you have been having connection issues. How has things been since your post? I have run a remote diagnostic and have not been able to identify any issues with your connection.
We can also provide online broadband help here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/services-support/broadband
Let us know if you need any further help.

Cheers,
Corey C

Corey
Thank you.
It was OK today. I spent most of the day on Teams and it stayed connected however I had switched to 5GHz.
The laptop fluctuates between 1 and 3 bars in Win 10.
I still think an extender would help. Wired from router if possible
Let me see how it goes