cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi - connections keeps dropping

lansell82
On our wavelength

Hi

Ive been working from my work laptop in the kitchen (about 5 steps from where the hub is situated)  for about 2 years years w/o any issues.

Since last week, my WiFi connection keeps dropping out. This includes my TV that is situated in the same room as the hub. I spoke with a technician whim advised I need to pay an extra £5 p/m to boost the signal, even though my TV is in the same room as the hub!!!

I need this issue to be resolved ASAP as it's now affecting me wfh

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply, I'll try that. Seems odd this issue has only happened since last week.

Even more frustratingly, none of your suggestions was mentioned during my call with one of your "technicians" who kept repeating me to pay an extra £5 per month to fix the problem. So basically, if your suggestion works, I would have been tied in to pay extra per month?!

Thanks,

Lee

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @lansell82 

It might be that a neighbour is sharing the same WiFi channel as yourself and thus impacting on your WiFi signal strength.

Have you separated the SSID's in your hub to differentiate between 2.4G and 5G. 

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

The following details how to separate the 2 bands if you haven't already done so:-

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 if using a 3rd party router) - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  at the bottom then  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply, I'll try that. Seems odd this issue has only happened since last week.

Even more frustratingly, none of your suggestions was mentioned during my call with one of your "technicians" who kept repeating me to pay an extra £5 per month to fix the problem. So basically, if your suggestion works, I would have been tied in to pay extra per month?!

Thanks,

Lee

Hi

I've just tried to do this fix/you're suggestion but tot appears the Internet is down completely. I've reset the hub (which I I earlier too) and this time hasn't resolved the issue.

Can you arrange for someone to call me to troubleshoot or arrange for a technician to visit me to check my hub? My frustrations with Virgin Media are increasing and will have no choice to seek an alternative supplier if this doesn't get fixed ASAP as I rely on the Internet for my job. 

Thanks 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Lee,

If your interent is down you should look at Check service status at the top of the page. You can also a run a test on your equipment from there.

If nothing is showing  you should also try the  Service Status number on 0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@lansell82  neither @newapollo nor myself actually work for VM and are thus in no position to organise anything for you.

One thing I would say though is whoever you spoke to was absolutely NOT a technician, more likely a script reading person on whatever passes for minimum wage in Manila who actually understands as much about how the VM infrastructure works as my cat does, and absolutely DO NOT ever, ever pay for the ‘gadget rescue’ scam third party offering which I expect the £5 referred to.

lansell82
On our wavelength

Ah ok, thanks - I simply cannot believe the service from VM. P!ss poor! And they want to hike the prices in the next month or 2 - for what I've experienced so far, they should be decreasing their costs to align with the lack of service they actually provide!

You both have been very helpful and I appreciate that

Hey @lansell82,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.

Sorry to hear of your connection issues at the moment, I have been able to look into your account and can see an issue with the power levels supplying your hub. This issue would need a technician visit to resolve. 

I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

So why couldn't the so called technician I spoke with the other day see this issue for me instead of pushing me to pay more money per month to boost the signal from my hub ports? Surely you must agree that that is unacceptable service.

I've now waited over a week to be told this. I am furious that this issue is still on going and it's making my job harder with the signal dropping intermittently. 

Can you arrange for your team to call me please as I'd rather talk to someone about the issue...and someone who actually knows what they're talking about than some scammer on the other side of the world!

Thanks

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for the update @lansell82 and I hope that the technician can get all of your issues resolved on their visit.

Regards,

Steven_L