cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi keeps dropping out

Evelyn60
On our wavelength

This past five days we’ve experienced issues with our WiFi dropping out. It’s happening about every 30 minutes.  I have turned off hub/router. Have turned off devices , tried all suggested checks etc and still having issues.  We had no problem whatsoever until a few days ago.  It’s both annoying and frustrating. Could be in middle of something and get the dreaded you are no longer connected to Internet.  Any hints or tips appreciated but not too technical please.  I’m not tech savvy unfortunately.  Many thanks. 

80 REPLIES 80

Morning @Stumac62

Thanks for coming back to the thread, my colleague did offer you a technician visit on the 9th December, is this something you'd like to proceed with?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Nathan-91, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues with the Wi-Fi connection, are there any devices close to the hub that are working on Wi-Fi that may cause inference to the signal?

In relation to the Hub 4, I'd advise that this would only be made available if your package was upgraded to 1GB download speed as the Hub 3.0 can cope with speeds we offer below this threshold. 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

Hi David_BN

Thanks for your message,

Nearest wifi user to the router will be my Echo show (about 2-3m away) or my phone when im sat next to it (galaxy fold 4) (aprox 0.5-1m away).

Its worth adding that the hub 3 is in exactly the same place my old BT router was and I never had a problem with signal around the house.

I have got a DSL TP link router coming today, will set that up and see the outcome over next few days and will update.

Thanks

Hi Nathan, thanks for coming back to us! (And also for all of the helpful information in your initial post!)

How have things been going with your DSL TP link? I hope this has helped improved things for you, but if not please let us know and we will send you a PM to confirm a few account details and offer further support. 

All the best. 

Molly

Hi Molly_T,

Thanks for your message,

The new router is working great at the moment (fingers crossed).

I will keep an eye on it over the next few days and report back to sort a resolution out.

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Hello Nathan-91.

Thank you very much for letting us know the new router is working as it should.

We are here ready and waiting when you do reply.

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth_L and the rest of the VM team,

Update on the router, it has been connected a week with no errors at all in regards to signal or connectivity issues.

This confirms my suspicions that the wifi router built into the Hub is not up to par/fit for purpose.

The replacment router I have purchased cost me only £32.99 and has fixed all my issues.

Could you please tell me how I go about getting this taken off my bill? As you can appreciate, myself along with other members on this thread have paid in good faith for broadband and wifi provided by VM. However due to the lack of signal around the house proves the equipment isnt fit for purpose and in term could potentially be in breach of contract to which we can leave with no exit fee's.

As I previously mentioned, I have had broadband previously provided by BT with no signal issues in the property, and the BT router was in exactly the same place as where the VM one is now.

This thread proves there is an issue with the Hub3's that VM need to sort.

If you could either PM or reply to this thread I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance

Nathan

Hi Nathan, 

Thanks for coming back to us. We wouldn't cover the cost of the new router I'm afraid as it's not something we would ever tell a customer to go and purchase.

I am glad everything is all sorted for you however.

best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John_GS,

Thanks for your reply,

So VM think its acceptable to keep customers in a contract with equipment that isn't fit for purpose that keeps dropping out and will only advise us to "not keep it near a fish tank"?

Could you discuss the next option of having suitable signal around the house that doesnt drop out without an additional cost to me please?

In regards to not advising your customers to buy another router to fix the issue, there are 2 customers in this thread that have been recommended to do exactly that by your engineers.

Happy to look and discuss other options.

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Hi Nathan, thanks for the message, 

I am sorry to hear that you have been having issues with the service. I am happy to hear that this is now resolved. 

We would not cover the cost for the 3rd party router, 

Kind regards, Chris.