cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi keeps dropping out

Evelyn60
On our wavelength

This past five days we’ve experienced issues with our WiFi dropping out. It’s happening about every 30 minutes.  I have turned off hub/router. Have turned off devices , tried all suggested checks etc and still having issues.  We had no problem whatsoever until a few days ago.  It’s both annoying and frustrating. Could be in middle of something and get the dreaded you are no longer connected to Internet.  Any hints or tips appreciated but not too technical please.  I’m not tech savvy unfortunately.  Many thanks. 

80 REPLIES 80

Stumac62
On our wavelength

I have looked at all the 'fixes' mentioned in your email. None have made any difference. Even trying to log in here the wifi dropped off!

I repeat. . .  since YOU upgraded me for free to 135 I have had this issue. Nothing else has changed. My wifi was fine before this, fast in fact, now it constantly drops out!

Yes, your tests will show I have good connection and when I can actually connect the speed tests show it is fast, but it keeps dropping out. I need this fixed please or I will leave and go to Sky, EE or Vodaphone.

Thanks,

Stuart 

Yes...same thing with me. I am starting to lose the will to live. 

When it works, the speed is great. But the constant seemingly random connection drops are RIDICULOUS. This is 2022, not 1992 - what is happening???

This has now been going on for weeks in a time where we are reliant on an internet connection for many things.

Please can a Virgin representative let us know SPECIFICALLY what the issue is, what needs to be done and how long it will take. It's hard enough to get through to speak to a person as it is. All they say is the usual engineering problem blah blah. It's pathetic. I regret the day I chose to sign a contract with Virgin Media. This is the worst customer experience I have had with any company ever.

Yep it is ridiculous. . .

Took me an age to log back in here to reply!!!!!!

Phone customer service is useless.

Let's see what response we get to our comments.

Stuart

Hi Radish22, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with the WiFi service dropping. 

Checking our systems, I can see all is looking well with the Hub in terms of power and signal levels, uptime and time outs. There are no faults open that may be affecting you either. I can see all the devices are connecting through the WiFi. 

There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here: WiFi Help.

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here

Finally, you can view more about our new WiFi Max service here

Please keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Stuart, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this and confirming you've tried the online checks and diagnostics. 

When using the Connect App, did it suggest that a WiFi pod may help? 

It's likely the the speed increase and the WiFi dropouts timing is just a coincidence as a change in your speed wouldn't affect the WiFi connection. 

There is only so much assistance we can give with WiFi since most of it is down to interference. 

If you have our WiFi Max service then you may be able to get up to 3 pods to help strengthen the connection but if there is less than 20mb speed in each room then you could get £100 bill credit. Let us know if you would like to add this. There is more information on it here

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Stumac62
On our wavelength

Hi Kath. Thanks for getting back to me.

I don't have Wifi Max. 

The connect app kept crashing. Guess why.... the connection kept dropping out!

It well may be a coincidence but NOTHING has changed in the last 4 years. No new connections, no new devices. So.why is this happening now?

I will be looking at alternatives to Virgin if this cannot be resolved. 

Could a new router help? I currently have the Hub 3.

Regards, Stuart.

Hi Benito3000, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are having issues with your connection. 

Checking our systems, I can see that there is a fault open that is affecting you. The details of that are here: 

• Fault reference number: F010309485
  • Estimated fix time: 06 DEC 2022 18:00
  • Description: You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

I have made a note of this on your account so the relevant teams are aware you are affected. If there is anything else we can do, let us know. 
Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi,

I have been having this issue too. Just had a virgin media repair guy out that has advised me to buy an internet mesh system. Apparently it’s a known problem with the internet keep changing channels and this makes devices lose the signal. I thinks it’s bad that I will have to buy equipment to fix virgin media’s issue but there isn’t any other way to resolve it. Hopefully this may help you resolve your issues too.

Hi. No, no, no. You should not have to purchase anything. We are sold these products as super-duper-better-than-everyone-else services (and pay a premium for the 'honour') so we expect it to work.

I will keep repeating - everything was fine until the day I was told I had been 'upgraded' free of charge.

As someone else stated earlier - I'm losing the will to live trying to resolve this.

I suspect I will be going back to BT at the end of sll this.

Stumac62
On our wavelength

Right. . . Got home to be told now the wired connection is disconnecting too.

My other half works from home and the wired connection is essential to her job.

I need an engineer visit please to look at the connections.

The cover outside on the pavement is loose, therefore water is getting in. Maybe that is affecting my connection?