cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi keeps dropping out

Evelyn60
On our wavelength

This past five days we’ve experienced issues with our WiFi dropping out. It’s happening about every 30 minutes.  I have turned off hub/router. Have turned off devices , tried all suggested checks etc and still having issues.  We had no problem whatsoever until a few days ago.  It’s both annoying and frustrating. Could be in middle of something and get the dreaded you are no longer connected to Internet.  Any hints or tips appreciated but not too technical please.  I’m not tech savvy unfortunately.  Many thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

Are wired connections okay?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

80 REPLIES 80

g0akc
Problem sorter

Are wired connections okay?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

AlliP
Tuning in

I am experiencing this same issue. I've tried numerous ways to resolve it and Virgin are absolutely useless.

Evelyn60
On our wavelength

Thank you. Yes have checked and all seem fine. 

g0akc
Problem sorter

If wired is ok it suggests the connection to your house is working well but there’s a problem with the WiFi within the home.

Hard to say what is causing it to drop every half hour - likely a software bug but could also be interference from neighbours WiFi, baby monitor or whatever.

• try using a free WiFi analyser app to check for clashing with your neighbours, SSID disappearing and so on.
  • take WiFi off automatic in hub settings - try a different channel (1,6 or 11 on 2.4GHz)
  • factory reset hub if not already tried - long pinhole press then let it boot up and settle 
  • ultimately look at getting your own wireless router or mesh and use hub in modem mode 

Hi @Evelyn60,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear you've been having some issues with the service. I appreciate it can be incredibly frustrating!

I have taken a look into this and our systems have identified you have been experiencing network issues over the last week which can cause intermittent or performance related issues. Can you please check that the coax cable is connected securely to the Virgin Media equipment, any splitters (standard and powered) and to the wall socket? If after checking the cables, there's no improvements, let me know as a technician will be required. 

Please keep us posted so we can offer further support if needed. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

EAB2021
On our wavelength

The last two days I've been suffering the same issue. Wifi constantly drops but wired connection is stable. I have changed nothing and it has worked reliably for four months. 

I can't do my job from home with service like this. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you depend on connectivity for work,  you should investigate a VM Business package - it has a Service Level Agreement - your residential package doesnt.

See this re wifi
------------

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you should first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat or Whatsapp functions (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that's ~6->20 months of Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

EAB2021
On our wavelength

I already have a pod in my office to deal with the previous lack of signal in here, even though it's less than 10 metres from the router. 

• I should not have to fork about with the settings. It has worked reliably for months. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
So did mine... until we bought a new Panasonic Microwave oven at Christmas. The moment it is switched on the wif all drops. It restores itself upon the "ping!". Nice one Panny 😞

Perhaps your neighbour has got one too, or they have recently become a radio ham - who knows ?

It just shows how flaky and changeable wifi connectivity can be.

The settings are there so you "can" fork about with them and change things to improve it. When/if a Tech comes to visit - ask them to do it for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.