cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi issues

kevcole
On our wavelength

About 3 years ago I had lots of issues with my WiFi dropping in and out,  after a prolonged and ultimately futile phonecall with virgin, they said there's nothing wrong with my virgin router. 

So I picked up a second hand talk talk router just to use as a WiFi hotspot.

This has worked perfectly for the last 3 years.

So yesterday I had to hard reset the talk talk WiFi router, the first time in 3 years I might add, because we're getting WiFi dropping out. 

I'm not going to waste my time trying to phone virgin and spend time explaining what's going on only for them to test the router and say nothing is wrong

We have about 20 devices connected to the WiFi.

Short of splashing out for another router to use as a WiFi hotspot again,I don't know that to do

Any guidance as to things I could check would be appreciated

Kev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kevcole
On our wavelength

Update

An engineer came out yesterday evening. 

He changed all the connectors on the cables (original telewest ones, so about 25yrs old)  and also replaced my hub 3 with a fresh one

So far so good. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
see this
________
On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see.-

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

kevcole
On our wavelength

Hi

Thanks for the reply. 

I remember doing that a few years ago on the virgin router but it made no real difference to the reliability on it, hence why I added the talk talk router just for the stable WiFi

I think it's just worn out now tbh. I've connected to the virgin router and I'm getting anywhere from 20mb to 118mb download speed and the talk talk WiFi router is 20mb to 40mb download. 

I reset both routers last night and this morning they both seem stable, albeit slow. 

We recently had a free upgrade I think to 150mb service, i can't see why that would be creating an issue but you never know. My virgin router is pretty old now

Is just so inconsistent, some days we have no issues, and then some days your having all sorts of problems

I've checked WiFi channels and we're ok with nothing really else close to us

Maybe a fresh new router from virgin would fix everything, who knows

Kev 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So is your Hub in modem mode with the talk/talk doing all the routing and wifi?  Did you set it up in the required sequence  see the link?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/eero-6-Cannot-Connect-to-Internet-During-Se...

Others have solved this post-upgrade speed issue by doing a pinhole reset as per this.

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker.

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

kevcole
On our wavelength

I can't honestly remember what I set it to, it was 3 years ago.

I don't think I changed it to modem mode tbh, as we just ignored the virgin router and used the talk talk for WiFi

It's just patched into the back with a small lead and has worked perfectly for the last few years without any fuss

Kev

kevcole
On our wavelength

Last night I disconnected the talk talk router and resorted to the virgin hub for WiFi. 

Absolute rubbish. Constant dropped WiFi connections

My daughter works from home and a few of her devices are reporting unstable connection

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes... a good 3d party wireless router will always be better than a Hub

Perhaps the TT one has met its maker !

Time to invest perhaps?

--------------------
John
--------------------

kevcole
On our wavelength

Yes

Your probably correct there mate,  but the virgin hub is also getting on now so maybe having that replaced might just solve everything. 

I don't think I've ever got the 150mb service that I've been recently upgraded to, whether plugged in or on WiFi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its a coin toss whether a different VM Hub will improve anything!

I take it you have a Hub3 - many people hate the Hub4 and 5 and end up getting the Hub3 reactivated. But others are impressed.

So you can try and get that coin tossed or go for certainty with either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point(s) (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

kevcole
On our wavelength

Hub3

I didn't know about the 4 and 5, it may be a hardware issue with the connection box on the wall outside that's held together with a cable tie🤣