cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi issues

brodiebrowne
Tuning in

Hello

I'm new to the forums and hoping for some advice before I have to suffer calling Virgin Media's help desk and being asked to carry out several tasks that I've already done.

My problem is with the Hub3.0 wifi, which appears to drop itself out momentarily at random times.

According to the hub "Network Diagnosis Tool", my home network has a few problems and everything connected to the WiFi has a poor signal and needs to be moved closer to the hub.

Yet I'm sitting 5 feet from the hub through an open doorway with my laptop showing full signal.

Is it likely a hub problem?

Your home network has a few problems.

Checking Broadband Service
Checking Telephone Service
Checking Ethernet Connections
Checking WiFi Connections
If you still think something is wrong, please check the following
1 Gateway IPv4 address is valid.
2 Your broadband connection is working.
3 Your broadband connection is ready.
4 The temperature of your Hub 3.0 is normal.
5 The status of telephone line 1 is not ready.
6 The status of telephone line 2 is not ready.
7 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
8 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
9 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
10 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
11 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
12 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
13 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
14 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
15 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
16 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
17 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
18 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
19 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
20 The device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
21 Please place your WiFi device near the Hub 3.0.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You should try this first and see if it helps

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3/4/5 wifi issues for some devices.
Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types
Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You should try this first and see if it helps

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3/4/5 wifi issues for some devices.
Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types
Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there brodiebrowne,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the service issues faced, can I ask is it just the laptop that is experiencing issues?

Also are any issues appearing on a wired connection?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi John

Thanks for the detailed steps. I will have to wait till the weekend to attempt this, as I'm sure it will end up with me having to play around with things.

Regards
Craig

Hi Kain

The problem seems to be just the WiFi side of the Hub.

Most times it isn't that noticeable as tv devices have usually buffered enough info down to keep playing, unless i'm watching Live tv through one of the apps (iPlayer/ITV Hub etc).

On occassion, I do end up having to reset the Hub...or I may just need to reboot items connected to wifi...like my laptop or Roku Players as they don't always automatically reconnect.

Regards

Craig

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try what I advised first - if that doesnt sort it and its a wif only issue then your options are...

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat or Whatsapp functions (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hey brodiebrowne, thank you for confirming this.

Okay, I am going to send you a PM, so we can run some in depth tests with you as I think a WIFI pod would benefit you quite a lot.

Please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?