cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi is still recognised by factory name, alongside custom name.

CFox20
Tuning in

Evening. 

My WiFi router, Gig1 router, is being recognised as it's factory name alongside it's custom name that I have set by going through browser to settings. 

For example, trying to connect my Ring Doorbell back to WiFi and on the connection list, I had my booster that is upstairs, named 'WIFI 2', and then there was a connection which was the standard name of the router, 'VMxxxxxxxx' but the password for the router didn't work. But couldn't find the name of the router 'WIFI 1' that other devices connect straight to so I have had to connect it to the booster which isnt the strongest signal due to distance but does the job. But I would like to connect it to the main WIFI if I can. My Smart TV, iPhone, iPad all see standard name alongside custom name. 

I have gone through the browser to the settings page and set all names I can for router and booster.

Just curious if this is a glitch or I haven't done something right somewhere.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

You need to rename the booster SSID separately from the routers. Renaming one doesn’t rename the other. 

Also have you split and renamed the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID’s on the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

You need to rename the booster SSID separately from the routers. Renaming one doesn’t rename the other. 

Also have you split and renamed the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID’s on the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

2.4 GHz had changed its settings. 

so is the new Wifi name being broadcast anywhere at all that’s visible?

It was giving me the option to connect to the WiFi using the 2.4ghz on devices such as my TV and Doorbell, but I had no clue what the password was so just thought it was a glitch. 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @CFox20

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your 2.4ghz.

From reading the post I couldn't see if this has been resolved? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Yes it’s been solved thank you. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

That's wonderful news CFox20,

Remember to never hesitate to contact us if you face issues in the future. 

Thanks,

Kain