Menu
xxdd91
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi is driving me mad...

Hi all 

Ive been with VM approx a month and I’ve already had a engineer out twice. I’m going to keep this short...

In two rooms of my house I’m getting 200mb WiFi. In every other room between 0-40mb.

When the engineer came out the 2nd time he offered me three solutions

1. Move my router / this could potentially cut other rooms off?

2. Buy powerlines that support WiFi / move one outside the the two room range and hope it’s better

3. Buy a better router and run modem mode

I feel some of my options here are all a bit hopeful I could potentially do them all and get nowhere... 

Has anyone got any recommendations on what they’d try first I’m assuming powerlines might be an easy options as I could return them if there not suitable? 

Moving the router I’m not overly keen on and buying a new router would be harder to do return as I’d likely have to buy this online...

Help

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi is driving me mad...

Try the virgin powerlines.  Its £3 per month but you cancel them anytime.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

last point - buy from amazon - easy to return - will increase coverage and may help speeds

powerlines will help if they work - old wiring and split circuits can be a problem - try and see as you have concluded is the best option

on the hub3 have you split the broadband channels and turned off smart wifi - that should help

as to speeds at distances from the hub3 are the low speeds being tested on the same device as the 200 near the hub - not all devices will get the same speed

and finally [for now] does the low speed at distances from the hub actually matter or are you just wanting to see the same high speed all over the house - if things are loading and working then its of no consequence other than you know the speed

Tony
0 Kudos
xxdd91
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jb66 do I just order them via my account?

0 Kudos
xxdd91
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My house was re-wired 5 years back so I’d hope it was okay.

same device used for all tests iPhone&laptop

ive split it into two channels it didn’t really improve much

I don’t need the speed in all of the rooms but some I do or at least a better speed that 0-40 as it’s drops out and bounces a lot 

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Technicians have them or they can be posted out, the ones virgin provide are the best I've seen.  Bit of a faff setting up but once working are good

0 Kudos