cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi intermitent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have good signal strength, and only a few devices using the WiFi but when doing a test from one minute to another the ookla Speedtest can one minute read 5mb and the next 100mb. the next less than 2mb. then back in the hundreds.

yet when tested on a direct wired no significant changes 

what will be causing this has anyone any ideas please

many thanks

Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

Use a free WiFi analyser app - see if neighbours WiFi is clashing 

Try changing channels 

Use 5GHz if you can 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Lots of possible causes. Wifi is a fickle thing to tackle especially on cheap £30 ISP hubs. 

What have you done with the Wifi so far to try and fix this?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

g0akc
Problem sorter

Use a free WiFi analyser app - see if neighbours WiFi is clashing 

Try changing channels 

Use 5GHz if you can 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your advice, I will have a read about clashing signals with my neighbour and channels . You have give me something to look into.

many thanks and best wishes 

Ian.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thank you for taking the time to answer.

it is a virgin 3 husband I have not done anything yet, as sometimes I get a great connection and sometimes not  I am a bit stumped. If it was bad all the time I would just put it down to a bad hub. I have had a reply advising me to look to see if  I am getting a clash with my neighbour, sounds like something worth investigating.

Hi @Anonymous, 

thanks for your post.

Sorry about the issues you've been having with your WIFI being inconsistent. With WiFi services we cannot always guarantee that you will see any of the speeds that you will see via a wired connection. When you are running these tests are they in different locations away from the hub are the same close to the hub?

As well as location to the hub being a factor with the connection the amount of devices connected at one time can also have an affect so it may be worth trying a speed test with all other devices disconnected to see how the speeds are. One other thing to check is to make sure the hub is in a clear open space so nothing can block the signal.

You can also find further help with approving WiFi here.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules