cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi has gone down - no solution - can anyone help

kingloghorn
Tuning in

Hello everyone, 

Around 9 days ago my WiFi stopped working. I have a Hub 3 and the light at the bottom is flashing green, and the WiFi light is solid. I tried calling Virgin but was put on hold for over two hours. 

I checked all of the connections to ensure they were secure, rebooted the hub many times and checked for any damage (which there was not). I booked an engineer visit for last Friday as I really need internet (I work from home). Virgin then text me to say they've had to cancel. I then got through to someone on LiveChat after over 6 hours of waiting and they told me the issue was to do with my Hub and that they've sent me a new one and assured me this would fix the problem. Unfortunately, after setting it all up, the same problem still occured. 

I've now been trying to get through to the right person for the last three days to help me. I really have never had a service quite like this, the lack of support with faults is really bad. I'm wondering if there's anyone on the community who can help with the problem or point me in the right direction of where to call / email. Any help would be very much appreciated. 

11 REPLIES 11

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Have you activated the new hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its not activated properly.

Call the equipment activation number on - 0800 953 9500 – you will need the serial number off the barcode sticker and also your account number, Call at 08.00 (Mon-Sat) or 09.00 (Sun) for the best chance of getting through quickly.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

kingloghorn
Tuning in

Hi,

Thanks both for your replies. I was under the impression you connected the new router and it should automatically activate.

I’ll get in contact with the supplied number and hopefully it can be sorted! 🙂

flisterthree
Just joined

For wireless router issues, you might need to reset your router and modem to restore your Wi-Fi network connection. ... To restart your router and modem, unplug the router and modem power cords from their power sources. Wait at least 30 seconds, and then plug both the router and modem back into their power sources.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

@flisterthree wrote:

For wireless router issues, you might need to reset your router and modem to restore your Wi-Fi network connection. ... To restart your router and modem, unplug the router and modem power cords from their power sources. Wait at least 30 seconds, and then plug both the router and modem back into their power sources.

Please do not spam the forum.

DO NOT CLICK ANY LINKS 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

kingloghorn
Tuning in

Managed to get through yesterday, they tried to activate the box but same issue. Engineer booked for 29th 🤞🏼 

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,

I have been plagued by this problem for s while and it has got worse recently (about 10 times at weekend). I have found the issue to be seemingly due to the 2.4Ghz wifi bandwidth, as opposed to the 5Ghz. You may want to try disabling the 2.4 Ghz in your wireless setting in the Admin console, leaving 5Ghz enabled. Since doing this I have not had any such issues to date.

Be aware that some older devices, such as Playstation 4 for example, can only connect via 2.4Ghz, but I deployed a solution to this I will suggest. 

From my understanding 5Ghz is a low latency bandwidth as it is less subject to interference from other electrical devices than the older 2.4 Ghz. Therefore it is best for video streaming and online gaming. But 2.4 Ghz has better range throughout the house. 

To combat the disconnect issue, and the pros and cons of the different bandwidths that affected my household, as well as the general weakness of the Hub 3 wifi range in my experience,  I deployed a Netgear AC1200 dual band wireless extender in my hallway to serve all other rooms. This can be configured, using its  Fastlane option, to receive clients on 2.4Ghz (giving me range to all my devices  irrespective of age). However, it then relays at 5Ghz, giving a degree of better performance, to the Hub 3 router. I have all my devices configured to use the extender even if they are sometimes in the same room as the Hub 3; huge improvement all over the house. So far so good at the very least.

@Anonymous wrote:

hi,

I have been plagued by this problem for s while and it has got worse recently (about 10 times at weekend). I have found the issue to be seemingly due to the 2.4Ghz wifi bandwidth, as opposed to the 5Ghz. You may want to try disabling the 2.4 Ghz in your wireless setting in the Admin console, leaving 5Ghz enabled. Since doing this I have not had any such issues to date.

Be aware that some older devices, such as Playstation 4 for example, can only connect via 2.4Ghz, but I deployed a solution to this I will suggest. 

From my understanding 5Ghz is a low latency bandwidth as it is less subject to interference from other electrical devices than the older 2.4 Ghz. Therefore it is best for video streaming and online gaming. But 2.4 Ghz has better range throughout the house. 

To combat the disconnect issue, and the pros and cons of the different bandwidths that affected my household, as well as the general weakness of the Hub 3 wifi range in my experience,  I deployed a Netgear AC1200 dual band wireless extender in my hallway to serve all other rooms. This can be configured, using its  Fastlane option, to receive clients on 2.4Ghz (giving me range to all my devices  irrespective of age). However, it then relays at 5Ghz, giving a degree of better performance, to the Hub 3 router. I have all my devices configured to use the extender even if they are sometimes in the same room as the Hub 3; huge improvement all over the house. So far so good at the very least.

This isn’t the same issue as OP is having 

Hi 

by dropping the 2.4Ghz in the settings will this effect the sky Q mini boxes as I believe they run off 2.4Ghz also ?