Menu
JoshCassar
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi extender? Using Ethernet

Is there something like the Powerline series but instead of using the wiring of the house I can use a Ethernet port or cable to both extend the WiFi but also still be able to use the Ethernet cable for something that needs to be wired.

sorry if something like this has already been posted I couldn’t find anything

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi extender? Using Ethernet

Do you mean a "wireless access point" - which you connect by ethernet cable to the Hub alongside your other wired connections and it broadcasts the wifi from wherever you locate it.

https://www.comms-express.com/blog/review-to-the-10-best-wireless-access-points/

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you need both wireless and Ethernet at a remote location, you run a CAT5e/6 cable from your hub to a small (5 or 8 port) Ethernet Switch, then connect your devices to this switch. One of the devices can be Wireless Access Point to give you WiFi at this remote location. As CAT5e/6 cable is extremely cheap it’s best to run two cables, one prime and one if the prime one fails or is cut in the future, save a lot of hassle. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
JoshCassar
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I need one wired connection and a hotspot. There’s a Netgear WAP with multiple lan connection but I don’t know if that is like a switch built into the WAP I’ll link it below

NETGEAR Wireless Access Point, SOHO Small Business, 11ac Dual Band , 300/867 Mbps (2.4/5 GHz) (WAC104-100UKS) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWUJU8H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F5NnCbN4X30FS

Also with WAP does it have a different ssid and password to my normal router so I can stop the rest of my family from hogging my bandwidth.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What package are you on? If it's VIVID200, then an upgrade to VIVID350 would give more bandwidth for your family.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos