cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi drops out when downloading

bhoughton
Tuning in

Every time I try and download over WiFi from my home PC the WiFi drops out. I get great speeds on 5G around 20MB/s but it seems the Hub4 can't handle it.

I've also noticed the fan becoming pretty loud on the Hub4 even when not downloading, could this be an overheating issue? Is my Hub4 on its way out?

8 REPLIES 8

g0akc
Problem sorter

@bhoughton wrote:

I get great speeds on 5G around 20MB/s but it seems the Hub4 can't handle it.

What do you mean by 5G?   Is that on mobile data (with a SIM card off a mobile phone) or do you mean with 5GHz Wi-Fi from your hub?  They are different things.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

"the WiFi drops out"

Don't forget there are 2 ends to a WiFi connection -  the PC could be dropping the WiFi link.

5GHz and the WiFi drops for every device in the house not just the PC

So many things to check

• are wired connections okay?
  • any lights change on hub?
  • are ALL your wifi drivers up to date 
  • do other devices loose connection even if pc off?
  • how far from hub?
  • Try a free wifi analyser app - does that show anything 
  • clash of channels with neighbours?
  • try changing channels 
  • ultimately get your own wifi kit - look at using hub in modem mode 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

• are wired connections okay?
  •     Yes
  • any lights change on hub?
  •       No
  • are ALL your wifi drivers up to date
  •       Yes
  • do other devices loose connection even if pc off?
  •       WiFi only drops after i start downloading otherwise its fine
  • how far from hub?
  •      Just upstairs signal is decent
  • Try a free wifi analyser app - does that show anytclash
  •       No, used one to pick the best channel
  • clash of channels with neighbours?
  •       Nope
  • try changing channels
  •       Same result

Thanks for getting back to us bhoughton, from checking the connection and equipment everything looks to be within the levels and ranges we'd expect to see them. The speeds to the hub seem fine also averaging over 272mbs download and 26mbs upload, as mentioned these are to the Hub and the issues look to be wireless. In the last week there has been two disconnections showing, both brief and one of which has been since you posted.

Has this improved over that time at all? Have you made any changes to the settings of the Hub regarding the wireless network or channel optimisation?

Rob

Hi Rob,

No I haven't made any changes and it's happened once since I posted, whilst I was downloading on Steam. Since then I've avoided downloading anything and the WiFi stays up fine for just general browsing and watching Twitch etc.

Hi bhoughton, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

Checking things further today, it looks as though you've made some changes to your Hub settings which may be the reason you're having the disconnections. 

• Smart WiFi is disabled - This means that Channel Optimisation, Band Steering and Airtime Fairness are unavailable.
  • The SSID names do not match on both WiFi bands for the primary network - This means devices cannot move between the two bands to get the best WiFi performance possible and will also affect Plume pods and stop channel optimisation from being used.
  • Wi-Fi mode & channel width is 802.11g/n & HT2040 MHz - This could be causing slow speeds or connection issues due to device compatibility.

If you can return the hub settings back, this may improve the WiFi connection for you. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs