Menu
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 21 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi dropping out every few hours

Nothing untoward in the Hub stats - all normal.. Griffin is far more qualified than I to comment on the logs. If they look ok I still think you just have a wifi issue.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Lstedman
Joining in
Message 22 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks for your thoughts, so you think based on the diagnostics that a new router is the best way to go, now that I am able to access the settings to put it into modem mode?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 23 of 24
Flag for a moderator

The stats look fine, there is nothing to suggest that VM's local circuit is dropping.
However, it maybe worth starting a Broadband Quality Monitor to be sure.

Wireless can be complex an there are many factors at play, like Range, Client Hardware, Client \ Router positioning, Interference, Number of devices connected to the same wireless channel, and the Topography of your home can all have a major influence.For example, your neighbour who has just had VM installed could be interfering with your signal.

There are many local variables involved, so giving specific advice is almost impossible from a remote location as the Forum, or even from a VM call centre

The Hub3's "Intelligent" Wifi is designed to automatically overcome such problems, but how well this works is a matter of debate, personally, I wouldn't trust it.

For diagnosis, I would  disable the Hub's Channel Optimisation, and give the Hub's 2.4GHz and 5GHz separate SSIDs and do the same with the Powerline Adapters, so you will end up with four SSIDs, so you know which one your clients are connected to.

I would place the Hub in a central position as possible away from obstacles and electrical appliances. By the same token I would check that the space around the Powerline Adapters are as clear as possible, with the Adapters plugged directly into the sockets and not extension strips. Moving the wireless clients around a bit to get the best reception position may help.

I would download a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel and test the received signal strengths at the position of your wireless clients. You will be looking for a signal strength of -67dBm or better or -54dBm for wireless ac devices.

Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby Monitors, older Cordless Phones, Hearing Aids, Microwave Ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, Zigbee etc. etc.

It is worth noting that overlapping channels on the 2.4GHz band is bad and you will be sharing airtime with all other devices using the same wireless channel, so using a wireless channel that other networks are using can slow your network down.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band is preferable, providing your clients support it and you are getting a decent signal strength.

Once you have scanned around your home, you should have a better idea of your unique wireless environment, and if using the best wireless channel available you should be able to identify areas of poor wireless reception where additional\better wireless hardware will be required.

Of course you can use the VM connect app to do this, and you maybe able to get free\rented powerline adapters depending on what package you are on. However, If you choose this method i would back it up with scans from a wireless scanner.

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 24 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@Lstedman wrote:

Ok thanks for your thoughts, so you think based on the diagnostics that a new router is the best way to go, now that I am able to access the settings to put it into modem mode?

Have you been able to try any of Griffin's suggestions for improving your existing wifi environment?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos