cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi dropping out and poor connectivity

redtone1000
Joining in

Hi

I'm getting problems with the WiFi where I'll be working on the laptop at home on my own and will suddenly get "connected without internet". My phone shows the same message. I'm a new customer and starting to regret it. It's embarrassing when I'm on work calls and continually freezing.

I'll also get Netflix etc buffering endlessly on Sky q for example.

I can fix it by rebooting but should I have to reboot all the time?

How can I talk to an engineer about this? The customer service line sends me on an endless loop of testing the line, sending me a text that doesn't help then hanging up over and over.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this..
-------------
Can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

If ethernet connections are all fine and its just a wifi issue then see this....

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. Its now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply. Currently my phone is saying no WiFi, but ethernet is OK. My son is also streaming YouTube on Sky Q so I'm really confused. The advice above is great but seems incredibly technical, plus I have smart devices that all talk to each other so I would end up all on 2.4 which kind of defeats the object of having fast WiFi.

My point is as a customer I shouldn't gave to do all this and compromise, but also can't get through to an engineer to support me, stuck on an endless loop of calling, getting sent a text, calling, text...It seems my only option to talk to someone may be to ring the cancellation line.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If its just wifi - see this..

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. Its now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey redtone1000, thanks for posting on our help forum.

We're sorry to see you're facing issues with the WiFi and connectivity, could you please tell us how things look since you last posted here?
Have you had any help from the advice jbrennand posted above or do you still need support?

Let us know where we are with this, happy to assist further with any issues.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

Unfortunately the problem is not solved. I did speak to someone last week who said it would be fixed in the background but it's still just as bad. Currently I am about 5-10 metres away from my router and my phone is reading 350 mbps Internet speed. Please can somebody help?

Thanks

Hey redtone1000, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry the WIFI is still bad.

I can see you have been speaking to the team about this.

I can also see an area outage has just ended in your area which would of been effecting the connection.

This has now ended, how has your connection been lately? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?