Menu
Jenkins0702
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi down for over 50 days

Hi,

The WiFi (provided by Virgin) in our flat has been down for 52 days and there seems to be no resolution in sight. 

There are six of us who rent from a private landlord via a letting agency, we are a mixture of students and working professionals so rely on WiFi in our working lives. We do not have access to the virgin account as WiFi is provided by our landlord, however we have been in contact with our letting agency almost every working day since the issue arose.

Virgin have checked the issue over a month ago and reported that the line had been cut due to neighbouring building works and told the landlord they would fix it at the end of August as they would be rewiring the area anyway then. Obviously this is not acceptable as the six of us are tenants here until then and the landlord told virgin as such. Since then him and the letting agency have been unable to contact the virgin agent who is supposed to be dealing with the issue regarding a date for repair works, and whoever they speak to from virgin says there is nothing they can do as this one lady is the person dealing with it.

it has now been 52 days since the WiFi went down and as tenants we are at our wits end and feel ignored and helpless and not impressed with how virgin have handled this.

I’m wondering if this is standard practice on Virgin’s end and what we as tenants can possibly do to fix this mess, or what we an advise our landlord is the best way to proceed.

Virgin leaving us without WiFi until the end of August would be wholly unacceptable, the students here cannot study at home, we cannot enjoy our leisure time and I personally am a carer and cannot access online services that my dependant needs whilst at home. We have all spent a small fortune on data add ons as we have had no idea when this problem will be resolved throughout the process.

Please can someone advise me what can be done about this, and is standard practice for Virgin to ignore contact for weeks on end due to only one case worker handling the issue?

Many thanks,

Joel.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi down for over 50 days

Hi Joel,

First off, it is the Broadband connection that has been severed, WiFi is a by-product of that within the property.  Broadband fails > WiFi fails as a result.  Always best to get the terminology right to save confusion.

Secondly, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I'm afraid Virgin Media will only deal with the account holder  i.e. your landlord so there's little the tenants can do to resolve this.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Jenkins0702
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The problem is that they haven’t been dealing with the landlord - he hasn’t been able to contact the case worker in weeks. Even if they won’t deal with me, what can I advise my landlord and letting agency to do at this point? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As Dave says - only the landlord can help - get him to call “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-5 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open 8am until 10pm [calling early is usually best]) you will usually get a UK call centre who’s staff are more informed and helpful. He should tell them he is  thinking of leaving for Sky/BT because of this loss of service and as VM are in breech of the contract he does not expect to pay any early exit penalties. They will try and sort it for him (as it’s their job to keep customers).
He needs to patient getting through it can take half an hour + and DO call early-mid morning.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Jenkins0702
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

I’ll message my landlord and see if they’ll give that a go!

0 Kudos